Question

No sound from TV

I recently bought a new tv (Prism E65) it doesn’t have an optical port, so I bought a audio extractor optical to HDMI https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KLBKQBK/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but the sound is still coming thru the TV not my playbase… anyone have any ideas? 

Thank ls in advance!! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Hi.  What do you have connected to this device and how?

Hi john! 
So I have my play base connected to the connector I mentioned before using the optical cable. Then out from that connector I have an hdmi to the tv hdmi arc port. I’ve configured the remote control in the Sonos app & 
I can play music on the base so it’s definitely working I just can’t get the tv sound thru it! 
Any suggestions welcome right now !! 
thanks a mill 

My best guess - and this is not with total confidence, is that your device is capable of taking an HDMI input (e.g. from a Blu-Ray player) but not a HDMI-ARC signal.  They are not the same

Sorry I’m a bit dumb when it comes to all this! By “my device” you mean the playbase yeah? 
I’ve tried plugging the hdmi into a “normal” port too but still no dice :(  

No I mean your connector / extractor - sorry I wasn’t clear on that.

You probably need to tell the TV in its settings to use HDMI-ARC as audio out, but I still have doubts about whether it will work.  My query is whether your connector will process the ARC signal that comes from the TV and out over your optical

It looks like your device is intended to send video to the TV and bypass the TV for audio.  I may have misunderstood but it doesn’t sound like that is what you are trying to do.

Hey john … this is from link I posted about the device ... 

“This 4K HDMI Audio Extractor Allows the HD Source to Connect to Single HD Display and to Add Extra L+R /SPDIF Audio Out Port, HDMI Resolutions up to 4096x2160@30Hz and 3D Supported, PASS /2.0CH /5.1CH, 3 Audio Modes Selected, Ideal for Blu-ray DVD Player Xbox One SKY HD box PS3 PS4.”

Is there anything you’d recommend I use over this device maybe? I did find a SONOS HDMI ARC TO OPTICAL adaptor but not sure if I’ll be in the same predicament 

thank you very much for your thoughts so far btw! 

Hi.

The Sonos adapter actually converts optical to HDMI-ARC for use with the Beam or ARC, which have HDMI connections.  So it is the wrong way round for you.

What type of audio out does the TV have?  The specs say there is an audio out as well as HDMI-ARC.

Also, what are the sources of audio>  OTA broadcasts?  Satellite Box?  Blu-ray player? etc...

It does have an AV out put…? 

Do you know if that is analog or digital?  Sorry  - I edited by post to ask for the sources you are using, please could you respond to that?

Sorry John my last post had a picture pasted in but it doesn’t look like that saved… Honestly I’m not sure if it’s digital or analog. The manual doesn’t say. 
There is a Coaxial output and an Audio output socket. I’ve also got the AV input sockets (yellow white and red plugs).THere are 3 HDMI ports one of which is ARC.

Everything I’ve read seems to say this converter I’ve got should work but I’m not getting anything! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I tried to find some real specs for this TV, but the manufacturers web site is laughably lacking in real information. Here is the best I could find:

Sorry John my last post had a picture pasted in but it doesn’t look like that saved… Honestly I’m not sure if it’s digital or analog. The manual doesn’t say. 
There is a Coaxial output and an Audio output socket. I’ve also got the AV input sockets (yellow white and red plugs).THere are 3 HDMI ports one of which is ARC.

Everything I’ve read seems to say this converter I’ve got should work but I’m not getting anything! 

Do you want to have another go at posting a photo of the ports?  Like @controlav I looked at the website and found nothing of use.

Your converter/extractor is designed to take an HDMI input such as from a cable box, send the video to the TV and the audio out over optical.   Can you confirm what you are going to be listening to - ordinary OTA broadcasts? apps on TV like Netflix? Blu-rays? or what?

Also, have you connected the HDMI-ARC from the TV to the input or output on your converter?