Answered

No Sound From Beam When Converting DTS to Dolby Digital / 5.1 via Blu Ray

• 10 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
Hi.
I have Beam, Sub and 2 Ones as surrounds. Connected via HDMI to my Sony 4k TV is a Sony BDP S1200 blu ray.

I've changed the Blu Ray settings to convert "DTS Audio to Dolby Digital audio for output" and set "Digital Audio Output" to "Auto", not PCM.

According to the Sonos phone App, the sound I'm getting when the movie chapters are displayed is in Dolby 5.1. Certainly sounds like it.

However, as soon as the movie starts playing, there's no sound at all.

Change the settings to "convert "DTS Audio to Dolby Digital audio for output" and set "Digital Audio Output" to "PCM", and the intro still plays in Dolby 5.1.....But the movie plays in Stereo.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 November 2018, 13:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

SRutland,

You do not appear to be doing anything wrong, but...

As 'briefly' explained in this link here...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Some TVs can only pass 5.1 through over a certain connection (either digital optical or HDMI ARC), and some can only pass through certain signal types (DTS or Dolby Digital), so make sure you have a TV that supports both the connection and signal type you wish to use.

I suspect your TV may only pass through a DTS signal ... or it may only pass a Dolby Signal to the digital optical port ... you need to speak with the Sony Support desk to find the real answer in your case.