Question

no sound from Apple TV 4K Atmos content

• 16 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey, so I just got my ARC and it’s hooked up to an entirely new setup. TV is LG nano85 (2020 model with E-arc), Apple TV 4K and Xbox 1 S. All new HDMI 48gbps cables. Whenever I try to play something from Disney+ on the Apple TV there is no sound. The same happens when I play a Netflix item that has Atmos. I have the Apple TV set to auto, Atmos available. The TV is set to bitstream input and pass thru and e arc is turned on. Atmos works on the Xbox and on the built in apps on the TV. If I try and play any iTunes movies On the Apple TV  they say 5.1 in the Sonos app, even though iTunes says they have Atmos. Am I missing a setting some where? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I don't have eArc, but I get the same, I believe that Sonos need to add LPCM decoding to Arc, which they have said they will.

Until then I think you need to force the Apple TV to output “Dolby Digital 5.1” by selecting it instead of “Auto”

This won't give you Atmos, but will give you 5.1 until LPCM is added to Arc.

My Samsung TV has an AppleTV app that does not output Atmos, so I hooked up a physical AppleTV 4K and got exactly the same as you are reporting.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I just picked up an LG Nano 91, and would like to use our Apple TV, but we need to wait for Sonos to complete the LPCM update.  Everything is working great through the TV apps though.  I think this update will be a little while, as they have a bigger issue being worked through at the moment.

Badge

Play a little bit with your sound settings, I think that you should get Atmos in Disney Plus with that setting with the native app, Appletv and the xbox… On my older C7 that also has Atmos it works well.