Answered

No 5.1 over optical from Sony UBP-X700 to Arc

• 5 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m using a Sonos Arc in a projector setup, with:

• Sony UBP-X700 as source 1
  • Roku Streaming Stick+ as source 2
  • an AV Access matrix in the middle, which passes video over HDMI to the projector and audio over S/PDIF to the Arc’s HDMI adapter. 

Everything works great with the Roku —the Sonos iOS app reports that the Arc’s audio input is 5.1. 

Unfortunately, when using the Sony Player — to play either its own Netflix App, or a 4K Blu-ray — no matter how I configure the audio settings, the Arc only seems to receive stereo. 

The Sony player is configured to send surround, and according to the onscreen info, it’s outputting 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on the disc or streaming content).

I’m hoping that the HDFury Arcana I preordered will fix this, but I’d love to get this fixed sooner than that. I’d really appreciate any advice!

icon

Best answer by costanzafan 1 August 2020, 20:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you tried switching the inputs into your Matrix Device just to check that the position insn’t reversed?

Roku now not producing 5.1 with Sony outputting 5.1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like an EDID problem, with the Sony player sending DTS and the Arc not accepting it so negotiating down to DD 2.0 instead.

Badge

I tried switching the inputs — no dice. 

I also think this is an EDID issue, but I don’t think Netflix uses DTS, does it? And I tried a non-DTS Blu-ray, which had the same problem. 

Badge

I think I found the problem. The projector connected by HDMI is supplying the EDID — 2.0 audio — which is unfortunately being respected by the Blu-ray player (but not the Roku). The audio extractor within the HDMI switch then siphons off 2.0 audio, over optical, to the Arc.  

potential solutions:

• buy a Dr HDMI 4K to override the EDID signal from the projector
  • Buy a new player that supports ignoring the EDID and always sending 5.1
  • Wait for the HDFury Arcana (although I’m not entirely sure it will fix this, because I don’t know how EDID works in that scenario)
Badge

Final update: I added a Dr HDMI 4k to my setup (installed between the projector and the switch) and set it to “yellow” (5.1). That resolved my issue. Thanks!