New update has given Beam Gen 2 owners height volume control.................

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Do you think we will notice a difference?

18 replies

Userlevel 7

You should notice a difference when playing a Dolby Atmos source with discrete height channel effects.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hopefully 😊 - will have to find something to watch now 

Hopefully 😊 - will have to find something to watch now 

Maybe see this thread:

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks - will have a look 😄

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Ken_Griffiths   - I have a few of those films so will try some out - wonder what volume I should start with?

@Ken_Griffiths   - I have a few of those films so will try some out - wonder what volume I should start with?

Many TV’s make/models output their audio at different volume levels to the connected Soundbar, so just go with whatever suits you. You can perhaps start with the Height Audio ‘flat’, at its zero position and adjust it to suit your listening position and own preferred hearing level. HTH.

Badge

Where is this height option control please ?

I have beam gen 2 and don’t have this option and have latest software on the beam 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Robbo32 - it is with the other volume controls on the Beam settings.

I did have to update via google play store, then separately update in the actual sonos app if this helps.

Badge

Thanks SarahN I’ll have a look and see if I can get this to work 👍

Badge

Just done an update but still don’t have this option 

can you post a screenshot of what this looks like in the app please 🙏 

Badge

Cancel that SarahN now have it 

had to update twice as you stated 

many thanks 👍

I have the app set to update automatically but it wasn’t doing it automatically for some bizarre reason 🙄

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Anyone had chance to test this to see if it makes a difference?

I was wondering the same thing too. I only have my Beam 2 but I don't notice a big difference for Atmos content. Hoping to hear what you guys think!

Badge

I was wondering the same thing too. I only have my Beam 2 but I don't notice a big difference for Atmos content. Hoping to hear what you guys think!

Hello,

what level did you set for the heights on your beam 2 ? Did you manage to move up until 10 ?

Hello,

what level did you set for the heights on your beam 2 ? Did you manage to move up until 10 ?

I tried with 0,5, 10. After doing some testing I ended up using 8. There's some difference for sure but really depending on the content you're watching. Overall I feel the volume got boosted with the height audio adjustment. 

Badge

Hello,

I tried with 0,5, 10. After doing some testing I ended up using 8. There's some difference for sure but really depending on the content you're watching. Overall I feel the volume got boosted with the height audio adjustment. 

Did you hear more sound coming from the height channels ? did it create this bubble effect with Atmos content as expected ?

Hello,

Did you hear more sound coming from the height channels ? did it create this bubble effect with Atmos content as expected ?

I do but keep in mind the Beam 2 can only generate virtual height channels. I only have the stand alone Beam but it does a pretty good job with the new update. Hopefully soon I'll be able to add two Ones for the rears!

Badge

Sure but Sony, for instance, is good at virtualizing height channels from front speakers.

If you say height channels are clearer and more obvious with this update, I would then go with the beam 2 ;)