New Sonos Arc update

• 19 November 2020
  • 17 replies

Hi,

Today a new update was sent over to my Sonos arc bar, there is no information on what this update did to the bar.

Can anyone please explain if anything has been improved in this update?

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

The latest update (12.2) added Sonos Radio HD, multi-channel LPCM audio support, and added additional language support. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Thank you for the response but I am not talking about the update for the app. Is the actual bar that received an update 

Userlevel 7

The last firmware update gave the Arc the ability to play multi-channel LPCM audio.

Thank you!

so it’s not sound quality improvement?

Userlevel 7

The Arc going from only supporting stereo PCM to multi-channel LPCM is a pretty big improvement in sound quality.

Awesome, I actually did notice an improvement 

On which content is this change more obvious?

Userlevel 7

For me, when I played a DTS-encoded Blu-ray, it used to only play 2.0 stereo sound through the Arc because Sonos doesn’t support DTS audio. Now with the latest update, I get full uncompressed 5.1 LPCM audio when watching those Blu-ray Discs.

Userlevel 7

I believe there are some gaming systems that use multi-channel LPCM audio too.

Thank you that’s great news

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you for the response but I am not talking about the update for the app. Is the actual bar that received an update 

Since the app is only a remote to the speakers system, technically it's the updates to the system that make the difference.

How did you get Multichannel PCM 5.1 from Blu-Rays?  I was able to get multichannel pcm 5.1 from a DVD but not Blu-Ray, I must be missing something.  2020 model Samsung QLED with e-arc, should I put the tv in passthrough?

Userlevel 7

How did you get Multichannel PCM 5.1 from Blu-Rays?  I was able to get multichannel pcm 5.1 from a DVD but not Blu-Ray, I must be missing something.  2020 model Samsung QLED with e-arc, should I put the tv in passthrough?

You have to set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM or LPCM.

Thank you for your response.  Do you know offhand if the PS4 can do this.  I just tried it on a older PS3 and kept getting pcm 2.0

Userlevel 7

Thank you for your response.  Do you know offhand if the PS4 can do this.  I just tried it on a older PS3 and kept getting pcm 2.0

I believe the PS4 has a Linear PCM audio setting, but I’m not sure if it will convert audio from a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc to play LPCM audio.

Hi guys

My Sonos Arc bar has received another update today 12.2.2 

It was the bar that received the update not the app.

Does anybody knows what the update enhance or fix?

thanks 

Userlevel 7

Hi guys

My Sonos Arc bar has received another update today 12.2.2 

It was the bar that received the update not the app.

Does anybody knows what the update enhance or fix?

thanks 

I believe the latest update allows you to connect two Sonos Subs to the Arc.