Answered

New Playbar - IR repeater issue

• 25 January 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge
Just added a Sonos Playbar to my TV (just put down new hardwood floors and wanted to eliminate all the wires from my old theatre surround sound system). I already own 2 Play 5s and 2 Play 1s so staying with Sonos was a no-brainer. Setup,of the new Playbar was fast, easy and flawless. It sounds great both for tv shows and for streaming music. The remote control setup for volume control also went flawlessly. The only issue I'm having is with the IR repeater. I can't seem to turn off the tv using the remote unless I st d with the remote controller 2 inches from the Playbar's IR receiver window (yes the app,is set up correctly).

Should the IR indicator light come on when I send an on/off signal the same way as when I send a volume change signal? It doesn't.

Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Max P 29 January 2016, 13:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Beemrider, welcome to the community.

A couple factors can give difficulty to the IR receiver. Mind following the checklist below and let us know how it goes.
  • Make sure there are fresh batteries in the remote control
  • Make sure there is a clean line-of-sight to the IR Receiver
  • Eliminate direct sunlight and nearby fluorescent lights as a source of interference
  • If the Playbar is in front of the TV, it is possible to be too close for the repeater to function well. Try increasing the distance from the front of the TV to the Playbar by a few inches.
If your system is still experiencing the same problem. Submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number. Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Badge
Diagnostic sent: 5413495

Batteries are fine
Clear line of sight to Paltbar
No direct sunlight
No nearby fluorescent lights
Increased distance from TV from 2" to 5"

There was no change to the Playbar repeater performance. The repeater WILL work only if the IR emitter on the remote control is held 1" from the IR window on the Playbar. Moving any further back will not work. On the other hand, when sitting in normal viewing position, the remote controller WILL operate the volume control with no problem.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Diagnostic sent: 5413495

Batteries are fine
Clear line of sight to Paltbar
No direct sunlight
No nearby fluorescent lights
Increased distance from TV from 2" to 5"

There was no change to the Playbar repeater performance. The repeater WILL work only if the IR emitter on the remote control is held 1" from the IR window on the Playbar. Moving any further back will not work. On the other hand, when sitting in normal viewing position, the remote controller WILL operate the volume control with no problem.

Got it. Alright seen you have done all the basic troubleshooting I have create a support ticket 160129-001375. Mind giving us a call? You can provide that number to your technician to continue. Our contact information can be found here: http://www.sonos.com/contact. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.
Hello,

I just had a similar issue pop up. I use a TiVo remote which turns on the TV, operates the cable box, and runs my Playbar (+Sub). No physical change to my setup and ran through all the troubleshooting tips.

The problem I’m having is that I can only get the remote to work in direct line of sight of the Playbar from one to twelve inches. Anything beyond that (even line of sight over 1 foot) and it won’t control it. Previously, it worked from pretty much anywhere (including when not directly in sight of IR window.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

Sean
Also, I went ahead and submitted a diagnostics with confirmation number: 583097243 .

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, SPS IA. If you are still having trouble with this, I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. Thanks!