New Behaviour with 14.16

• 26 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I finally got the chance to tinker around with 14.16 today.  I have an Arc plus Sub Gen 2.  Oddly enough, when I turn TruePlay OFF it totally neuters the bass on my system.  When it is on it sounds powerful and authoritative, more so than before.  I was not prompted to re-run TruePlay as others were upon downloading 14.16.  Has anyone else noticed more pronounced bass with 14.16 with TruePlay ON as opposed to the other way around (the “work around”)?  Specifically, has anyone else noticed better bass with Arc plus Sub Gen 2 when running 14.16?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yeah its interesting because i had the same thing that happened to you happen to me. However i have gen 3

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I finally got the chance to tinker around with 14.16 today.  I have an Arc plus Sub Gen 2.  Oddly enough, when I turn TruePlay OFF it totally neuters the bass on my system.  When it is on it sounds powerful and authoritative, more so than before.  I was not prompted to re-run TruePlay as others were upon downloading 14.16.  Has anyone else noticed more pronounced bass with 14.16 with TruePlay ON as opposed to the other way around (the “work around”)?  Specifically, has anyone else noticed better bass with Arc plus Sub Gen 2 when running 14.16?

Don’t see how since SONOS has said 14.16 did not do anything to resolve the sub or volume issues. Some say it’s a placebo effect. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I can assure you it is not “placebo.”  I tinkered with TruePlay on vs off for a long time after 14.12.  Before, turning it off and on made no difference at all.  Now, when I turn OFF TruePlay it KILLS the bass response.  My system is in a tiny room, so there should be no need for TruePlay to increase bass performance due to peculiar room acoustics.  I’m not complaining though, I think it sounds GREAT.  I hope they don’t tinker with the next update and kill it.  I’ve yet to see anyone with an Arc and Sub Gen 2 have the bass issues as people who have Gen 3 appear to be having.  I certainly never did.  If turning TruePlay ON now (for me) makes the system demonstrate the same behavior as everyone else is complaining about I do not blame them.  It is weak and terribly under powered with TruePlay on.  Maybe the whole problem with this update lies in the fact that the engineering team did not compensate for various differences between Sub Gen 1, 2 and 3 along with Sub Mini.  I don’t imagine that Sonos intentionally killed the impact of bass like everyone else is complaining of.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I had the same experience. With 14.16 and re-run Trueplay, my Arc/Sub/Ones system sounds better bass-wise with Trueplay = ON. Volume otherwise not affected.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I had the same experience. With 14.16 and re-run Trueplay, my Arc/Sub/Ones system sounds better bass-wise with Trueplay = ON. Volume otherwise not affected.

What generation sub do you have?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have an ARC and Sub gen 3, Im finding the bass output a lot better lately and I have my sub in the negative range as well. 

Was watching Arcane on Netflix and the bass from sub was quite strong even at low volume, I think the bass has tightened up and become a lot less boomy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

What generation sub do you have?

Gen 2 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Put sub in another room physically. For example in the hallway, power it up and close the door. Now rerun Trueplay. After you done, place sub back in its original position.

Worked for me, don’t need to turn sub-level op to +12, but can leave it at 0. Bass sounds fuller now too. Even my gf noticed some positive changes without knowing what I had done.