Answered

Music setup with Beam, two play:1s and a Sub

• 23 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi

This may have been asked before but I have no idea how to frame a search for my question.

I currently have a beam and two play:1s as surround sounds speakers. For music I have set the play:1s to ‘Full’.

I am thinking of purchasing the Sonos Sub. My question is how this would it work for music with the Play:1 speakers set to full. Would the sub still be used for music. And should the sub be placed near the play:1 speakers for the best music experience.

Don’t get me wrong - I want it to sound good for movies and such but I want to prioritize music. If Sonos bring out new play:3 type speakers I may eventually replace the play:1s for that. I love the stereo separation but two play:5s would be too much for surround sound IMO and my room is not that big!

Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 January 2019, 04:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes, if you're playing music in the "room" that has the two PLAY:1s in it, then the SUB, which would be part of that room would be in use.

Placement isn't as important as you may think, due to the nature of sound waves of those frequencies. Try placement in multiple places that you think are OK, and if you can, run TruePlay on your system, and you'll be fine.

No one really knows yet if the upcoming speaker is a PLAY:3 replacement or something different.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have the same setup including a sub, which I've placed behind a couch on the opposite side of the room to where the surround Play:1s are positioned. It sounds fine - the low-end carries easily throughout the whole room. I've considered putting the sub closer to the surrounds (behind the couch where I sit) but I doubt it's going to make a vast amount of difference, except to annoy a different neighbour.
That should be a feature listed for the SUB.... "choose which neighbor you want to annoy!".... 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi! Thanks for the replies. I’ll have a play when I get the sub (Feb/March) and report back.