Multichannel PCM via Samsung

• 10 November 2020
  • 18 replies

Badge +3

The update today gives us multichannel LPCM support for Sonos Arc. However, I can’t seem to get this working on my 2020 Samsung Q85T QLED. For example, if I put a DD 5.1 blu-ray in my PS4, I only get Stereo 2.0. No matter what settings I use. I was told to do “passthrough” on my TV and “dolby bitstream” on my PS4, this didn’t work (I also tried linear PCM setting on PS4 and auto on the TV). Similar with games. I get “Dolby Digital 5.1” but not this new multichannel LPCM… help??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does your TV support eARC?  If not then your TV probably won’t passthrough the Audio stream to the Arc.  I use the HD Fury Arcana product to split the Audio and Video signal before it reaches my TV and can now get Dolby Atmos on my Arc, even though my TV doesn’t support it or eARC.

Badge +3

Does your TV support eARC?  If not then your TV probably won’t passthrough the Audio stream to the Arc.  I use the HD Fury Arcana product to split the Audio and Video signal before it reaches my TV and can now get Dolby Atmos on my Arc, even though my TV doesn’t support it or eARC.

Yeah my TV does have eARC and I have the setting turned on :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m clutching at straws but have you set Dolby Atmos Compatibility mode to ‘On’ in Settings>Sound Expert>Settings

Badge +3

I’m clutching at straws but have you set Dolby Atmos Compatibility mode to ‘On’ in Settings>Sound Expert>Settings

Don’t have that option but atmos does work for me. I just don’t get this multichannel lpcm. 

Though it was just me. 

I have the same tv and pcm from my ps5 just won't work even after the update. 

I think the earc is dodgy on this TV. I continually have to reset it to get sound working. 

Badge +3

I actually think it might be a Samsung thing. They need to issue an update. 

I contacted Samsung. They're already aware of the issue and are working on a fix. No eta unfortunately. 

I contacted Samsung. They're already aware of the issue and are working on a fix. No eta unfortunately. 

Will this be fixed for all 2020 Samsung TVs, or just the Q85T? I have a TU8000, and according to Samsung support and the manual, LPCM is supported. It just doesn’t work on the Arc. Is this in any way a Sonos issue?

No. See my response to your other thread.

If this were a Sonos issue, you’d see complaints from users of all TV manufacturers, not just Samsung users. 

Badge +3

I asked Sonos about this and they said LPCM on PS5 and passthrough on the TV. This only gives me Stereo 2.0 though. If I change the PS5 to Dolby Bitstream, I get DD 5.1. So either Samsung or Sony have an issue somewhere that means I can't get multichannel LPCM 5.1??

Badge +3

Samsung just told me the 2020 QLEDs don’t support LPCM… *sigh*

Sorry to hear that. I’ve got a similar issue in both my Vizio TVs, they don’t pass Dolby Digital Plus from any HDMI input. I’ve resorted to a HD Fury Arcana on one of them, the other will have to stay on Dolby Digital for now. 

I don’t think the TV industry was able to properly forecast the future. It’s frustrating. And it will be several years before I want to spend the money to replace my TVs with something that works properly. 

Do you think an Arcana would solve our Samsung woes?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I asked Sonos about this and they said LPCM on PS5 and passthrough on the TV. This only gives me Stereo 2.0 though. If I change the PS5 to Dolby Bitstream, I get DD 5.1. So either Samsung or Sony have an issue somewhere that means I can't get multichannel LPCM 5.1??

sorry I didn’t see your post earlier

I would have told you that Samsung 2020 TV’s don’t allow for LPCM passthrough, sorry

Samsung is a little bit weak in these areas, they don’t support LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus and no Dolby Vision either

Luckily it can actually be fixed by Samsung with a software update (since its simply just pass through of a format the TV already support) - however this TV has been out a while and nothing has changed, I personally have no faith in Samsung to provide new features or fix issues after their launch a product - their after sales service is pretty poor, I stopped buying all Samsung products 2 years ago

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-earc-and-how-to-set-on-samsung-smart-tv/

Anyone knows how to pressure Samsung?

They stated in their website that eArc should support uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 but their TV’s eArc doesn’t.

Samsung just told me the 2020 QLEDs don’t support LPCM… *sigh*

Where did you get that? Was it an email or just online support?

Some say Samsung told them they are working on it.  

I’ve got their tech department working on it (with a reference number) and it’s been a few weeks. We’ll see how that pans out. 

I’ve got their tech department working on it (with a reference number) and it’s been a few weeks. We’ll see how that pans out. 

Considering others having audio drop out issue with eArc connection as well, I think might just be something wrong with the 2020 QLED model’s eArc?

LG 2019/20 OLED and SONY X900H don’t have PCM5.1/7.1 passthrough capabilities at the beginning but rolled out later by updates. Can only keep my fingers crossed if Samsung would do something. Sigh.