Answered

Muffeld sound from rears during Tv 2.0

• 25 February 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge

So, I've got the Arc and Sub, connected to a LG C9, and input via Apple Tv 4K. Just added two Ikea Symfonisk as rears, and it does work, somewhat.

I get nice Atmos, full surround when the input ( as acording to the sonos app ) is 5.1, 7.1 and so on, but when the input is 2.0, I do get some muffeld sound from the rears.

I know this is a "feature" when you are streaming audio to your system, but as far as I can see, it should not do so when recieving input from the Tv.

Is this intended by sonos, and if so, can it be turned off in some hidden setting somewhere?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 March 2021, 15:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Is the sound from the surround speakers actually “muffled” or is it just not as loud? It is normal for the audio from the surround speakers to be lower when watching a stereo source. You can adjust the surround levels on the Sonos app if you want it to be louder/softer or disable the surrounds completely.

Badge

I You can adjust the surround levels on the Sonos app if you want it to be louder/softer or disable the surrounds completely.

I know of this, but my point is, when there is 2.0 playback, no sound should come from the rears at all. And I should not have to maually turn surround off to get correct playback of this signal type. ( and back on for 5.1 input )

Thus I wonder, if there is a setting, maybe somwhat misnamed, that will remove any playback from rears while in 2.0 input mode?

Userlevel 7

As far as I know there isn’t a setting within the Sonos app that can do that. You could always request that feature to be added.

From my experience on this forum, most users, including myself, actually prefer hearing audio out of the rear surrounds while playing stereo content. We feel like it actually enhances the sound.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

With our stereo TV sound you should not hear sound from surround speakers if they are in surround mode (not only grouped with playbar). Maybe your Apple TV is doing some sort of virtual surround?

Badge

With our stereo TV sound you should not hear sound from surround speakers if they are in surround mode (not only grouped with playbar). Maybe your Apple TV is doing some sort of virtual surround?

If the ATV4K did something, the sonos app would not show 2.0, right? 

Userlevel 7

A have an Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, and Panasonic UHD player and they all play audio out of the surround speakers when watching stereo 2.0 content.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Does the Sonos app say pcm stereo or dolby  stereo?

Badge

Does the Sonos app say pcm stereo or dolby  stereo?

Petty sure its PCM 2.0, but why should that matter?

Userlevel 7

This is from Sonos...

”If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.”

Badge

This is from Sonos...

”If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.”

Thank you. Too bad it can’t be turned off though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You should not be able to really hear these sounds. Is your system configured OK? Did you run a Trueplay?

Userlevel 7

You should not be able to really hear these sounds. Is your system configured OK? Did you run a Trueplay?

His system is configured just fine. It is perfectly normal to hear audio from your surrounds when watching stereo 2.0 sources.

This is from Sonos...

Thank you. Too bad it can’t be turned off though.

Just to add, if you goto the Sonos Arc room settings in ‘Settings/System’ and select ‘Surround Audio’ you will hopefully see that you can toggle off the surround audio (switch top right of screen) or you can adjust the audio level between the TV and surrounds using the ‘TV Level’ slider bar.