Question

Lip Sync Frustration

• 7 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I have a Vizio TV (model M601d-A3R) along with a Sonos sub, playbase and two Sonos Ones as my rears.

I love the sound and want to love the system, but like many other people (based on the posts I've read), I am also having lip sync issues. Specifically, the video is ahead of the audio, and there does not seem to be any way to correct it. In fact, if I turn my TV speakers to on, I can distinctly hear the echo of the Sonos audio happening shortly after the TV speakers audio. This seems to be inherent with Sonos. My prior surround system (a Vizio which also had a wireless sub and rear speakers) did NOT have this same lip sync issue.

There is no setting to delay the video on the TV. There is an audio sync setting on the TV, but that has the same effect as the delay setting on the Sonos app, it just delays the audio even further.

I noticed that LG Tvs have an audio sync option to delay the video, but they seem to be the only manufacturer that offers that feature.

Is there anything I can do at all or am I simply stuck with this? Very frustrating given the cost of the sub and playbase (which cost approximately three times what the Vizio 5.1 soundbar cost, that didn't have issues).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I have the playbar. On the iPhone app, if I go to the room that the playbar is in, advanced audio, TV dialog settings, there is a sliding bar for lip sync - you set it to the level that works with your picture. Once I set it, I never had an issue again.
Badge +1
The Sonos App's "lip sync" setting is used to delay the audio. That is the opposite of what I need. In my case (and the case in several other threads here), the video is ahead of the audio. Increasing the delay through the Sonos app only makes the issue worse, as the audio becomes even further behind the video.

I did find a possible solution in a couple of the threads. That solution involves buying an HDMI switch with an optical output, and outputting sound from the switch rather than the TV. The TV would then connect to the switch via HDMI. This allows enough delay in the video to compensate for Sonos' audio delay. The other solution would be to purchase an LG TV, as they seem to be one of the only (if not the only) brand that allows the user to delay the video rather than just delaying the audio.

I have the playbar. On the iPhone app, if I go to the room that the playbar is in, advanced audio, TV dialog settings, there is a sliding bar for lip sync - you set it to the level that works with your picture. Once I set it, I never had an issue again.