LG OLED65C8 - no sound when connecting to Playbase using optical out

• 20 December 2018
  • 2 replies

I recently purchased a LG OLED65C8 and it there is no sound when connecting to a Playbase using optical out. My prior Sony TV connected fine to the Play Base using Dolby Digital content from both my Apple TV and Tivo. I have tried both Auto and PCM settings under Settings | Sound | Sound Out | Optical | Digital Sound Out, but with no luck. Sound is working only from the internal speakers.

I checked the optical cable and I see a red light at the Playbase end, so it appears to be outputting a signal.

Can anyone advise which settings are needed to make this TV connect to the Playbase? I would like to exhaust all settings before pulling the TV off the wall and replacing the optical cable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Try changing the speaker output settings in the tv menu.
I have mine set to optical and internal tv speakers. I turn the tv internal speaker volume down to zero with tv remote, when using my AVR.
So I finally pulled the TV off the wall and immediately saw the optical cable had been pinched between one of hooks on the mounting bracket. There was a clear kink in the cable that was no doubt disrupting the signal. I swapped the cable out and now everything is good to go. For reference a great way to trouble shoot these kinds of issues is in the Sonos App itself. Look under Settings | About My Sonos System | Audio In. With the broken cable the App showed "No Signal". Once the cable was replaced it changed to "Dolby Digital 5.1".