Answered

LG magic remote - playbar loses connection all the time.

• 8 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi! I have a LG OLED55B7 with a magic remote and a playbar. I’ve configured the remote to work with the Playbar a few times now, but i stops working after a while. It’s like the playbar resets itself. Sometimes it starts working again after I hit mute or unmute. But that only works once or twice, then the connection between the two are totally of. 

In the TV-settings I do the following:

Set the soundbar to optical/arc output, set the manufacturer to philips, and use the controller 1.

then i configure the remote in sonos.

This works for a short brief of time, then it loses connection.

I have tried other manufacturers for the playbar in the TV settings with no luck, philips seems to be the best option in that case. I will however try the pioneer and see if that may work. But I’m in doubt.

I do not use the optical cable that came with the package, I’m using another optical cable I’ve had with my old system. Feels unlikely, but could that be the reason why? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 February 2020, 18:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, the input from the TV would have no effect on whether the remote works or not. 

This is an odd case. I’m wondering if there’s some firmware update to the TV that keeps updating the way the remote works, and is switching it from IR back to Bluetooth. 

So, one thing I’d certainly try is checking the TV for updates in the TV’s menu. Apply any that may show up. Once that is done, I’d then reboot the TV by unplugging it from the wall for fie minutes, and then plugging it back in.  That should give a fresh start to the TV’s OS. Would be sensible to reboot the remote at the same time, by taking the batteries out for a minute. Then I’d reprogram the remote per the instructions from Sonos here. And test for a day or seven. See if that fixes the issue. 

Thanks for the response. I’ve tried this for a few days now, and it seems to work. Sometimes the playbar doesn’t respond immediately, but after a few pushes on the volume buttons it responds. So far so good. 

Something I was wondering aswell is if the playbar still retrieves IR signal from the magic remote? It seems to work better if I point the remote in the direction of the playbar IR signal recivever. But as I’ve understood the magic remote only uses bluetooth signals? 

Thank you! 

The TV normally uses Bluetooth, but the Sonos can’t, which is why you have to force the remote out of Bluetooth mode, and into IR mode. 

There are no Sonos devices that can be controlled by a Bluetooth remote.