LG CX - LPCM 7.1 Issues (Possibly Resolved)

• 15 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but after the latest LG CX firmware update, I am now receiving the proper Multichannel PCM 5.1 output on my Sonos system. Previously on either of my consoles via Xbox Series X or PS5, LPCM 5.1 content would always come out as Multichannel PCM 7.1 even if the console is set to A/V Receiver and 5.1.

Not sure if this was either fixed by the latest Sonos updates or the LG firmware update.

This is related to this issue.
Please read if you have encountered issues with 7.1 LPCM playback on Sonos via an LG TV

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It was the LG firmware that fixed it, but it’s not 100% fixed as though consoles seem to be outputting correctly now, Apple TV 4K still shows as multichannel pcm 7.1 for any 5.1 content.

It seems like LG partially fixed it.

Badge +1

It was the LG firmware that fixed it, but it’s not 100% fixed as though consoles seem to be outputting correctly now, Apple TV 4K still shows as multichannel pcm 7.1 for any 5.1 content.

It seems like LG partially fixed it.

Yes, I’m still having the issue with my AppleTV 4K as well. If the AppleTV 4K had an option to force the speaker setup like the consoles give you, it could fix it. No idea why Apple doesn’t just let us choose the setup instead.

Badge

Changed from Passthrough to Auto on my lg cx for Apple TV, and I get correct PCM 5.1/Dolby atmos output.

Did the change anything from a sound perspective?  

LPCM has always been quieter for me than DTS/Dolby digital, I wonder if this changes anything?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

LPCM has always been quieter for me than DTS/Dolby digital, I wonder if this changes anything?

This has been happening for a while now….

Badge +1

Changed from Passthrough to Auto on my lg cx for Apple TV, and I get correct PCM 5.1/Dolby atmos output.

With Auto on, are you getting Multichannel PCM 5.1 or Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1?

I agree with you 100% PCM sounds to low compared to Dolby Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby Atmos, or DTS Surround 5.1 I have Sonos Arc

I agree with you 100% PCM sounds to low compared to Dolby Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby Atmos, or DTS Surround 5.1 I have Sonos Arc

Yes, I find it quieter too, but it’s fine if I turn up the volume. I just have to remember to adjust the volume back before switching to a different audio source.