Question

LG B7 + Sonos Arc and Dolby Atmos

I have a LG 2017 TV with Atmos enabled for internal speakers. In Netflix shows Dolby Vision & Atmos enabled.

I have now a Beam and with the ARC connected and the same movie shows Dolby Vision & 5.1

The TV has only ARC and no eARC.

1. Does DD+ enables the UP-firing-Ceilling speakers and will I get a sound coming from top, or the sound bar will only give 5.1 and not use the speakers designed for Atmos?
  1. What is Compressed Atmos and will it show Dolby Vision & Atmos in Netflix over the HDMI ARC to the Sonos ARC?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Badge

Has anyone had any joy getting the Arc to work with this TV?

Although it clearly recognises it is connected to the TV as it asks to ensure simplink enabled no sound via the soundbar.

The TV had previously worked fine via optical with a playbar.

I’ve checked my Arc by plugging it into an old panasonic which it recognises and outputs the sound from so presumably an issue with the LG?

Hoping for some bright ideas as I really can’t afford to replace the TV!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is worrying as I have the same tv which works perfectly with my beam, and I was hoping to get Atmos via dd+, tried a different cable maybe?

Badge

Unfortunately not... Tried with another cable and still no joy... Something's happening as it says hdmi 2 now available but no sound via the soundbar 😭

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a LG 2017 TV with Atmos enabled for internal speakers. In Netflix shows Dolby Vision & Atmos enabled.

I have now a Beam and with the ARC connected and the same movie shows Dolby Vision & 5.1

1. Does DD+ enables the UP-firing-Ceilling speakers and will I get a sound coming from top, or the sound bar will only give 5.1 and not use the speakers designed for Atmos?

I have the same TV and the answer is yes, it will pass through Atmos as is also shown in the Sonos App.

1. What is Compressed Atmos and will it show Dolby Vision & Atmos in Netflix over the HDMI ARC to the Sonos ARC?  

This is simply a lossy form, likely not distinguishable from lossless on an arc, and yes Vision and Atmos show in the Netflix app, just be sure to switch the HDMI cable out with the one supplied with arc. For reference im also coming from a beam and its a big step up!

Thank you, I will then buy it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I also have a 2017 B7 LG OLED.   My Arc arrives soon, but previously my setup was a Marantz 7.1.2 with Atmos.   The Marantz display said “Atmos” when I used either Apple TV (HDMI into the receiver) or the LG Apps for Netflix or Prime with Atmos sources (using HDMI Arc).  Both of those I believe were compressed.   I also had a BluRay which output uncompressed.

I don’t remember the LG having “passthrough” in the past, and I suspect it came in a recent LG firmware.   But it is there now and I intend to try it.  It has been opined that the LG TV audio decoder is not up to the task and causes the delay in audio.  LG OLEDs were notorious for lip sync issues...especially with Atmos and optical.   Sometimes ARC.   LG has some information here  

Badge

Did any of you have difficulty setting up the arc with your lg b7 TVs? No sound coming to the arc at all via the hdmi arc output. The Sonos clearly is communicating on some level as it recognises it's connected to an LG TV but no sound coming through. 

Tried multiple cables and checked my Sonos arc on an old Phillips TV where it received from HDMI arc without issue.…

At the moment I've had to resort to optical output and converter to use my Sonos arc so somewhat disappointed as might as well have stayed with my playbar set up!

Hopefully there's an easy fix I've missed?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Double check your tv audio settings.   Should be Arc Output and you can fiddle with Dolby Atmos… and make sure the arc is in HDMI 2 not 1.  Also use the LG source setup to tell the TV you have an arc soundbar on HDMI 2 - those icons on the bottom when you push home on the remote.  One of them is HDMI 2

There are some settings that you need to press a little down arrow and are hard to find.   Has your TV updated firmware?

Badge

Yup... All set up like that and sadly still no joy... Hopefully LG will come back to me with a fix unless I've got a faulty TV... unfortunately as the playbar only had optical input never needed to check the HDMI arc worked until now!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

There are some settings that you need to press a little down arrow and are hard to find.   Has your TV updated firmware?

Also… were you able to True Play tune?   And where is the Sonos volume slider?   If you change to the tv speakers Do you get sound?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I haven’t gotten my Arc yet.. it was sitting at the FedEx origination warehouse for 5 days.   Now it’s in S Carolina.  I got my other two Sonos speakers - shipped at the same time - on Monday.

Badge

Yup gone through all the recommended settings. Not got an iPhone so haven't run trueplay…

As I say when I plugged the Sonos arc into hdmi arc output on another TV instant sound even before setup and getting sound from the LG via the optical/hdmi converter supplied by Sonos... Just nothing from the hdmi arc output on my LG55B7V.. although if connect to hdmi2 when Sonos plugged into it get the Sonos images.

Firmware all updated on TV as well... I guess if it is truly a faulty TV may be lucky and replaced by LG but suspect very unlikely replacement at this price point!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Try AV Sync turn on bypass

Also...HDMI 2 Deep color should be off - in General Settings

and there’s a menu item for sound test (last audio menu item)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Maybe turn on cec

Badge

Yup... Just double checked and redone all of those settings... Still nowt via HDMI arc to the soundbar... Will give LG techs a couple more days to reply then chase them again.

Thanks for the checklist through... Appreciate it and let me know if it works fine on yours when it arrives...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I once tried resetting the audio pn the LG…..I first powered off by unplugging for 30 seconds and then 

Press and hold down the OK button on the TV panel for 5 seconds (bottom center location)

Resetting LG tv Picture and Audio settings only - not channels.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Mine works.   I now am having trouble with the Harmony remote --- it only changes volume on one HDMI.   

I remember reading somewhere to set it to a Philips

Badge

Must be a fault with my TV then… fingers crossed LG will be supportive!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

By the way, I played a Star Wars episode on Disney and got wonderful sound that filled the room.   I looked on the Sonos App and it said Atmos!    yippee!   Slight lip sync issue I need to fiddle with

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes….it shows up

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Although it clearly recognises it is connected to the TV as it asks to ensure simplink enabled no sound via the soundbar.

I’ve checked my Arc by plugging it into an old panasonic which it recognises and outputs the sound from so presumably an issue with the LG?

Just watched Mandalorian in Dolby Vision and Atmos

Badge

Just watched Mandalorian in Dolby Vision and Atmos

And you’ve got the LG OLED55B7V right?  No joy as yet from LG - only response from techical team was have you tried switching from auto to pcm and back again in audio settings…

I’m on firmware version 05.80.55 which looks to be latest version too so no idea what else to do at the mo!  At least I can use it via the optical out for now but definitely envious of those able to enjoy the atmos!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have the 2017 65” b7 oiled.   

Have you tried a hard reset?   Unplug it and then press the OK button for 5 sec.   or there’s a menu  reset under General

Badge

Yup - just tried again both factory reset and the ok button… no joy at all so far - still at least the ARC looks better on the TV stand than the playbar I guess!

Badge

Yey... New motherboard and all works perfectly! Thank you Richer Sounds for the awesome warranty!