Answered

LG 49UH661V TV - Surround sound

Badge +1
i have the playbar and sub and was thinking of adding two play 1's to make the surround system complete

anyone know if this works with my existing TV

Model LG 49UH661V TV

please help
icon

Best answer by nik9669a 2 July 2019, 14:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Assuming the Tv is outputting DD to the Playbar, it will work. The surrounds are bonded to the playbar as rear effects speakers. You can optionally set them to play Full rather than Ambient sound for music reproduction.
Badge +1
how do i check the Tv is outputting DD to the Playbar?

sorry for sounding so dumb but i am not entirely sure about the set up
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The LG manual doesn’t help much, does it!

I don’t know what options you get in the Q menu. You want to be able to select DOLBY DIGITAL audio out on the optical channel. You may need to ask LG, if no one reading this has the same Tv model.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The rtings.com web site lists whether TVs support DD 5.1 over optical pass-through, but this TV is not listed (maybe becuase it is UK-only?).
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I have an LG UHD TV, and while I'm not using a Playbar or Playbase, I am using the optical output to my receiver, and I can confirm that it outputs DD5.1 0 - my Yamaha receiver reports the signal as 3/2/0.1
Badge +1
Just had this response from LG

Should i be good to go now?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Good morning John,

Thank you for your query regarding this, I would be keen to advise. This TV can pass through 5.1 Dolby Digital through the HDMI ARC connection. I hope this helps. Should you need any more assistance, please do not hesitate to get back in touch and I will be happy to assist you with this. If you need to reply, please click the additional questions link below.

Please feel free to contact us via our new Twitter account for Technical Support. You can follow us and interact with the team here -> @LGUKCare

Kind regards,

Shauna

LG Electronics UK Help desk
----------------------------------
LG Customer Services
UK: 0344 847 5454
Ireland: 01 686 9454
Mon-Sat 9am to 6pm
Closed bank holidays
www.lg.com/uk
You can even reach us via our Web Chat facility through the LG UK website
http://www.lg.com/uk/support/contact-customer-support
Yes, as long as your source(s) are DD 5.1, that will work fine.
Badge +1
Is it easier enough to set up?

the sub and playbar was straight forward enough
Badge +1
should i pair with the old play 1's or the new sonos one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
LG's response is useless: you can't use ARC on a Playbar. you need to ask them again, but regarding the optical connection, not ARC. My LG (a lot older than yours) needed a secret option in the service menu to be changed to pass DD 5.1.
Damn, missed the Playbar part. Yes, you will need to confirm DD5.1 over the optical.
should i pair with the old play 1's or the new sonos one?
Bonding the PlayBar and sub with “Sonos Ones” will give you voice control, but no Airplay capability (whilst acting as surrounds) and likely to be supported by Sonos for many years. The older Play:1’s sound almost as good and are much cheaper, but no voice control/airplay.. they are obviously older technology, but still supported (currently). I personally like voice control of the TV, particularly when coupled with the Harmony Hub device, so I would spend the extra and buy the new Sonos One, but it depends on your own preference, needs and available budget.
I’m not convinced of the use of the words “much” in association with cheaper. They are indeed less expensive, but I would say “slightly” rather than “much”. But it’s all relative.
Badge +1
latest question and reply here .............. should i be ok now everyone

////////////////////////////////

Good Morning John,

Thank you for your response.

I have had a look into this for you and you will be able to use Optical to pass through 5.1 Dolbly Digital as Optical can handle up to 5.1 channels. Can you confirm If you are having issues with this set up ? Once I have this information I can then look into getting this resolved for you.

I hope that this helps, if you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0344 847 5454 or alternatively you can also reply to this email by clicking on the wish to reply to this email button just below. Should you need to attach anything in your response, please click on the start a brand new enquiry button. If you do wish to respond to this email, please do so by clicking on the “Save” button on the response page.

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. If you have a few moments to spare, please may you help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey at the bottom of this email which is based solely on my support.

Kind Regards,
Dayam
LG Electronics UK Help Desk
-------------------------------------
LG Customer Services
UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954
Mon-Sat 9am to 6pm
Closed Sundays and Closed bank holidays
www.lg.com/uk
You can even reach us via our Web Chat facility through the LG UK website
http://www.lg.com/uk/support/contact-customer-support
Please feel free to contact us via our new Twitter account for Technical Support. You can follow us and interact with the team here -> @LGUKCare

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received Date : 03/07/2019 15:15 54
The type of inquiry : Product Operation
Product/Model No. : LCD TV ( 33" and over )/49UH661V

[GCU190702096155]

apparently i cant use ARC on a Playbar.

will the tv pass through DD5.1 over the optical.

one of my friends on his own LG (a lot older than mine) needed a secret option in the service menu to be changed to pass DD 5.1.

Please confirm
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Yup, you’re good to go.

Remember you’re adding surrounds when you’re given the option during setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Once you've installed the surrounds, play a DD source and in the App, look under Settings, About My Sonos System. The Audio In listing in the Playbar section should show 5.1.
Badge +1
i have a play one in my kitchen and i play one in my bedroom so i am tempted to try the system and tv with these speakers first before i buy two new units and make sure all works good
Badge +1
right i have finally set up the play one's as surrounds and i thought i was good to go

the units are playing and sound well but when i checked about my sonos systems the audio listing in the play bar is stereo not 5.1

any idea guys how to change this? or should i go back to LG
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
You need to input a 5.1 signal to the Playbar - a movie or suchlike - from the TV. The app reports what it sees.

Audio and a lot of TV is just stereo. Even some films on the High Definition channels are only broadcast in stereo.

Do do you also have a DVD player? Stick on a DD disc and try that.
Concurrent with nik9669a’s suggestion, you may want to double check the audio settings on all the devices feeding your TV via HDMI, and be sure they are set to send Dolby Digital audio streams. If the TV is receiving only stereo from a cable box, for instance, it will only give that same signal out to the Sonos. The TV can’t change what it is receiving into something else.