Answered

Left rear surround is quiet…or right rear is loud??

• 7 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Not sure if this is a new problem or if I just noticed it.

The left rear surround One SL is much more quiet than the right. Or maybe the right is louder. Either way…it makes me feel like I have hearing loss in my left ear when watching a movie because of the unbalanced volume in the surround speakers.

I’ve retuned trueplay, and removed the rear speakers from the surround system then re-added them and retuned trueplay and it has not fixed the problem.

I submitted diagnostics: 1027529887

Looks like I’m not the only one with this problem, but haven’t seen a good solution beyond skipping trueplay and setting everything up manually…but the audio quality sucks compared to trueplay. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 July 2021, 18:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Is your room an odd shape? Have you tried swapping the speakers to see if it makes any difference? You could also try borrowing a different model iOS device from a friend or relative to perform Trueplay tuning and see if you get a more desirable and balanced result.

Is your room an odd shape? Have you tried swapping the speakers to see if it makes any difference? You could also try borrowing a different model iOS device from a friend or relative to perform Trueplay tuning and see if you get a more desirable and balanced result.

Hey…thanks for the advice.

The room is just a standard square shape…but it is fully open on the left…so I guess more of a U shape…with the opening of the U to the left as I’m sitting on the sofa looking at the TV.

I haven’t tried swapping the speakers…I’ll do that when I get home from work in a couple days. Would you recommend running trueplay again after swapping, or fully removing from the theater system and then adding them back? Have no other iOS device to run trueplay with…but we’re nearing due for a phone update so could try that eventually if nothing else solves the problem. 

Userlevel 7

I would remove the One SLs as surrounds first, then swap the speakers, and add them back as surrounds. Then redo Trueplay tuning.

I would remove the One SLs as surrounds first, then swap the speakers, and add them back as surrounds. Then redo Trueplay tuning.

I had the same issue and have also tried to swap the speakers, even different speakers (2x Sonos One, 2x Sonos One SL, 2x IKEA / Sonos Symfonisk Picture Frame). This unfortunately does not make any difference (which was to be expected). The TruePlay algorithm seems to have an issue which certain room shapes, or with Rear Speakers which are close to a side wall of the room. 

I have also tried to do the calibration with different iPhones to ensure there is no issue with the microphone used for the TruePlay calibration. I ensured that the difference to the speakers while measuring took place was comparable.

The sound stays unbalanced. Sonos needs to further enhance TruePlay, but first of all, allow a manual adjustment of the balance. Until that feature is introduced, the issue will persist.

I have returned my back speakers, as this issue was unacceptable for me. Such a pity - if product management would only understand the effect of this little missing adjustment!