Answered

issue with Atmos on Sonos surround only

• 27 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

I’m listening to the 1989 (Taylor’s Version) album that came out today and something is wrong with the mix, but only on my Sonos system (Arc+sub+2 300s). I’m using Apple Music. During the chorus, when she sings “Wildest Dreams uh uh huh,” the “uh uh huh” part raises the volume of the soundbar and is jarring. I thought this could just be the mix, but I played the same track using the same source through my Airpod pro 2nd gen and the same jarring volume bump doesn’t occur.

Why is this happening? It’s difficult to listen to, and also gives me pause that Sonos isn’t properly interpreting the mix.

If you want to hear what I’m hearing, go to around 1:04 on Wildest Dreams (TV) on an Atmos Sonos.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 October 2023, 17:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

I just tested the song on my Arc + Sub + Era 300s setup from my Apple TV 4K and didn’t experience the volume bump you are describing.

Is your TV playing it in Dolby Atmos or is it down mixing it to 5.1? What model TV do you have?

What is your Height Audio level currently set to in the Sonos app? Some of those vocals are played in the height channels so if you have the Height Audio level set too high, it can sound imbalanced.

Badge +4

I just tested the song on my Arc + Sub + Era 300s setup from my Apple TV 4K and didn’t experience the volume bump you are describing.

Is your TV playing it in Dolby Atmos or is it down mixing it to 5.1? What model TV do you have?

What is your Height Audio level currently set to in the Sonos app? Some of those vocals are played in the height channels so if you have the Height Audio level set too high, it can sound imbalanced.

You are correct about this - it was the height. I had it at 10 based on a Youtube video from a high-end audiophile who said this was the perfect setting.  Now I’m not sure what to do because I can’t have music sound like that, but also want my TV shows to sound great (and they did).

Userlevel 7

You are correct about this - it was the height. I had it at 10 based on a Youtube video from a high-end audiophile who said this was the perfect setting.  Now I’m not sure what to do because I can’t have music sound like that, but also want my TV shows to sound great (and they did).

Just curious… who is the “high-end audiophile” you are referring to?

The Height Audio and Surround Audio levels should be set based on your specific room setup, not anyone else’s. The height effects and surround audio should never overpower the audio from the Arc. A +10 Height Audio level is usually excessive unless you have really tall ceilings. For example, I have a standard 8-foot, flat ceiling and sit about 8-9 feet from the Arc. I set the Height Audio level to -1 or 0 and can hear the height effects loud and clear and they are perfectly balanced with the Arc and Era 300s.

How tall is your ceiling? Is it flat? How far are you seated from the Arc?