Question

Is the Beam HDAVI Control 5 compliant?

• 4 December 2018
  • 1 reply

Like many others, it seems, I think I've set my Beam up correctly for 5.0 Surround sound, but About My Sonos System shows Audio In: Stereo. My TV is relatively old (2012/2013) but Panasonic assure me that it is capable of 5.1 passthrough over ARC as long as the connected receiver supports HDAVI Control 5.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Looking at this page from Panasonic - How to connect and use VIERA Link HDAVI Control - it sounds like another name for the combination of HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC. Beam uses HDMI-ARC to receive the audio signals and HDMI-CEC to send/receive volume, mute, and power commands between Beam and the TV. It sounds like it should be compatible with your TV.

Now, that doesn't mean that it will be receiving a surround sound signal all the time, just that the TV can pass on an audio signal to Beam over the HDMI connection. Make sure that the device you're watching through your TV is set to send a Dolby Digital audio signal (sometimes referred to as AC3 in some cable/satellite boxes). Beam will let the TV know that it can receive Dolby Digital signals, but anything else may be getting converted to stereo before it gets sent on to your Beam.