Intermittent Sound Problem With Beam

• 20 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

The problem I am experiencing is that sometimes the sound emanating from the Beam is garbled; i.e., it sounds as if the person speaking is talking underwater.  This happens randomly and generally only last for anywhere from a minute to as long as three our four minutes.  I exclusively use the Beam for tv playback and have it paired with two Sonos speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The times when I’ve felt like the voice channel was garbled, I’ve checked the signal my Sonos device was getting, and it was simply stereo, and not Dolby Digital, but it’s always been the source I’ve been watching, and went away when a commercial which actually was in Dolby Digital came on. Particularly bad for me were rebroadcasts of football games, which turned out to be a stereo signal on a Dolby Digital carrier, which caused me all sorts of angst trying to figure out why the center was so poor, and there was no surround. 

Maybe the next time you experience this, you could submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Badge

Bruce:

Thanks very much for the feedback.

With the exception of football, I record most everything before watching it (I hate commercials), so I would be unable to submit a diagnose at the time that the issue occurs.  The issue is very random; sometimes I can go days without an occurrence.  Also, please understand that I am a rookie when it comes to tech stuff, so I am not sure what you mean about the different sound signals.

I did indeed entertain contacting Sonos via their chat service, but when I last checked, no representatives were available.  Perhaps due to COVID?

Bob