Ikea Symfonisk

• 12 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 101 replies

Hello all of you….

I’m not gonna be seriously personal,but i need to give the reader’s some info.

I had to “move” over to my 90 yo granny cause of changes in the family-situation. Granny does not hear so good,based on that i brought my Playbase over along with a couple of Ikea BS w/stands and my Sub mini. But granny did not like the Ikea speakers. And i have not any good place to put them.  They are too noticable in Granny’s eyes.

Anyway….the speakers i could have been interested to use is one Ikea Symfonisk Lamp and one Ikea BS but this setup is not available. But let’s say both of these speakers got the same drivers/amp this setup could be done. I get it that the inside volume is different,but that is possible with an prosessor read what they are paired with and adjust themself if so.

There was allso an member here that wish for a Ikea Flower-lamp and a hanging lamp from the roof. This had been an alternative for us. A pair Sonos Roam/SL could allso been an alternative but they can’t be used as surround. 

Wish all of you a Pleasent Day🙏

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

@BOL74
Not sure if this may help, but…

The SYMFONISK Floor lamp and SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 2) are related models and can be used together as surround speakers.

Sonos portable products are not currently available because they are portable, but two Ones/One SL’s are a good alternative to two Roam/Roam SL’s and do not take up too much extra space.

Oh and Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to your 90yr (young) Granny too.🎄

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#Ken_Griffiths

Thanx for the reply. If i could place One/SL’s in a proper place it had not been any problems. I could place an Ikea Symfonisk Table-lamp on one side of me and perhaps a Ikea BS on the other side(not on a stand)…that’s it. And there is place for two Roam’s in the window-frame one on each side of us. That’s it. No place for an Ikea Symfonisk Lamp on that stand they have….the base is too big cause she got her nitting-gear there in the corner behind her and i don’t wanna mess with that🤭. And i would not dare use any kind of wall-mount like the One,Era 100, or Ikea BS….out of the question. Yeah,i heard bout the portable speakers from Sonos does not support be used as surround….but that have been my choice if those had the option to do so.

Wish you(and everybody here) a peacefull holidays. Be Well🫶

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Shortening the word “bookshelf” to “BS” is very confusing to me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Shortening the word “bookshelf” to “BS” is very confusing to me.

….and i use # in stead of @ witch is confusing to me. We all are different.

what do you prefere i use? You prefere the whole name when i write or another short name. What bout the Ikea Symfonisk Frame or Ikea Symfonisk Lamp?

I’m not here to be rude or a pain in anybodys butt…i’m here to have some topics shared,discussed,problem solved and i might make a different in where Sonos is going next. I hope they read the forum here so developer can have a clu what “the people” want.

Wish you a Good Day and Be Well🙏

Unfortunately, in common English usage, BS stands for another phrase which can’t be used in this forum, but starts with ‘Bull….’. I suspect that most of our brains went to the more common usage, rather than what you intended. Our brains are pattern matching machines, once we’re accustomed to one thing, it’s a tad confusing to see it used in another context. 

I have an ongoing joke/discussion with my sister about using both jargon and abbreviations unknown outside her specific group ( I am neither a knitter, nor a health care proffessional) on Facebook.  I try very hard not to use either in this forum, as I don’t know to whom I’m speaking, and exactly what their knowledge level is. 

Userlevel 7

@BOL74

If you want to use an abbreviatrion you must first write the words in their entirety and in parentheses show the abbreviation so that when used again the readers know what it references. For example in your post it might be….

1. My Bookshelf Speaker (BSSPK) works fine…

Later you can write…

1. But the BSSPK is too large...

However “BSSPK” is rather long and still might be loss to the reader. However, on the up-side I can’t find any use of BSSPK referencing anything else in English. 😊🤔

Chicago Manual of Style? ;)

Userlevel 7

Chicago Manual of Style? ;)

It’s a useful source for those in publishing, writing arts, editing etc. However, I don’t have a subscription for its unabridged use 😉

My post to the OP is from learning experience and “red” marks on college papers decades ago 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@BOL74 My message was a bit short maybe, but certainly not meant to demean you. Because I did not understand what you meant, I went to the IKEA website to find out what ”IKEA BS” speaker you could be talking about. When your readers have to take an extra step to help you it is just not very efficient. And indeed, the fact that “BS” is an abbreviation of not a very nice word did not help either.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#106rallye

I’m kinda new here on this forum,and the last thing i wanna be here is “a better know’er”….i have my fault and my grades in my own language was below average iin school waaaay back in the days. Anyway…in my head i assumed 70-80% of the Sonos forum-readers/users here have read my previous topics(optimistic perhaps) and in many of the threads i have been refere to the Ikea BookShielf-speakers as Ikea BS(haven’t gotten to the Ikea lamp or the Ikea Frame…yet🤣🤣🤣) I know we are not on Tik Tok,Instagram or Twitter but it’s common to have “your own style” when expressing yourself on social media.

But that beeing said i think most of we readers there(on social media) somehow understand what beeing written,ofthen by younger generation. They have all sorts of way shortening words and so on. It’s not terrible to read,but you might have to read/think twice to “get it”.

I’ll try make myself understood and it’s something i need to change for “rest of the % that have not read my topics.🤜

Well,this got a little out of hands here when it comes to this thread. But i’ll try my best to make myself more understandable…no worries #106rallye we are growen human beeings.

Have a Nice day all of the forum-readers out there😀

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

…here i go again🙃

As i wait for another used Playbase to arrive by mail i use Airplay for sound along with Apple TV 4k 3gen(?)(lightnig charger on remote,not usb-c). And my corner-mounted Ikea BookShielf 1.gen.

I notice lately that when i watch Youtube the sound is not there…i pause the video and go back 1-2sec and i get sound but sometimes dissapear,sometimes it’s horrible…like when you’re listen to a FM-radio out of tune  by 0.5 Mhz(you get the idea). The Ikea BS are directy plugged in the wall so there’s no power-loss. And i got my Apple Airport Extreme whitin 3meters from Apple TV &Ikea BS.

I even try reset the Ikea BS. I have not try hook up an internet-cable cause last time i did it messed up my Besm gen 2 somehow did not wanna play other than Airplay. It’s hooked up to a HD Fury Arcana btw…

So i don’t wanna mess with the internet-cable again.

So my question will be: What am i going to do? And is Gen2 of the Ikea BS alot better with the internals in mind? 

Thanx Folks⭐️

…here i go again🙃

As i wait for another used Playbase to arrive by mail i use Airplay for sound along with Apple TV 4k 3gen(?)(lightnig charger on remote,not usb-c). And my corner-mounted Ikea BookShielf 1.gen.

I notice lately that when i watch Youtube the sound is not there…i pause the video and go back 1-2sec and i get sound but sometimes dissapear,sometimes it’s horrible…like when you’re listen to a FM-radio out of tune  by 0.5 Mhz(you get the idea). The Ikea BS are directy plugged in the wall so there’s no power-loss. And i got my Apple Airport Extreme whitin 3meters from Apple TV &Ikea BS.

I even try reset the Ikea BS. I have not try hook up an internet-cable cause last time i did it messed up my Besm gen 2 somehow did not wanna play other than Airplay. It’s hooked up to a HD Fury Arcana btw…

So i don’t wanna mess with the internet-cable again.

So my question will be: What am i going to do? And is Gen2 of the Ikea BS alot better with the internals in mind? 

Thanx Folks⭐️

Airplay uses the local WiFi network for communication …and discovery using their Bonjour service - see here: https://developer.apple.com/bonjour/ 

Some users occasionally have issue with discovery and so I put together this list of things to check but it mainly relates to iPhone/iPad moreso than Apple TV but it certainly applies to their HomePods aswell as Sonos speakers… so maybe something below will ‘perhaps’ assist (🤞) …

1. Open the Sonos app
  2. Go to Settings » System » About my System
  3. Find the IP address of your Sonos device
  4. Open a browser on a device connected to your local network
  5. In the address bar, type http://[IP address of Sonos device]:1400/tools.htm (the whole thing should look something like “http://192.168.0.125:1400/tools.htm”, but the four numbers will/may vary). You may want to bookmark this page
  6. Click the “mDNS Announce” button at the bottom of the page.
  7. You should see a simple page with nothing but “Success”. You can now close the browser
  8. You should now see the Sonos device appear in the AirPlay list of devices to connect to

If the issues persist then go onto perhaps try these things…

• Restart all devices including the router and try to AirPlay again
  • Remove and reinstall the App being used for Airplay on the sending device
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it ‘on’ on the sending device
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers)
  • Connect the sending device to the same WiFi network access point as the speaker
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Disable ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing in the iOS Network connection 
  • Disable WiFi calling on the mobile device
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics and closer to the main router
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or better still, reboot the router as mentioned above
  • Switch off any Security/VPN software installed on the sending (mobile) device