Question

Ideal rear speaker placement for room with couch diagonal to TV

• 19 August 2020
  • 9 replies

I live in a fairly small apartment. In my living room, there’s a fireplace on a diagonal wall, and my TV is mounted above this fireplace. My couch is positioned parallel to the walls, which is necessary to create a walkway, since my front door is just behind this. I’ve drawn a diagram, which is roughly to scale. Red squares are the speakers, as I have them placed currently.

I just bought a Sonos Beam, and I also have two Symfonisk speakers which I’m using as my rear speakers.

Due to the unusual room layout, I’m not sure about the ideal placement for the rear speakers. There’s a window behind the two chairs, so the left speaker’s location is limited by that on the left wall, although I suppose it could go on either side of the window.

I suppose I could also put both speakers on the back wall.

Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Q1: Any chance you can angle the sofa to directly face the TV.  I believe your walkway would still be sufficient.

Q2: Can you then run a cord from the left outlet near the door with a cover over it to prevent tripping, to the right side (as shown in pic) side of the sofa.

Q1: Any chance you can angle the sofa to directly face the TV.  I believe your walkway would still be sufficient.

Q2: Can you then run a cord from the left outlet near the door with a cover over it to prevent tripping, to the right side (as shown in pic) side of the sofa.

I’ve tried this before, (angling the sofa toward the TV) and it doesn’t really work. It restricts the walkway far too much. I have other furniture in the room too, I just didn’t include it here. There’s a bookshelf at the top left of the diagram, for example, and a credenza/console across the top of the diagram.

Userlevel 7

Hi @nerdland 

Why can’t you just swap the position of the two chairs and sofa as it appears to be the main seating area. I would then move the speaker on the bottom to the other side of the sofa. Positioning the speakers as I suggest would improve the surround effect for front to rear and rear to front movement; as well as fly over objects. Please comment.

Why can’t you just swap the position of the two chairs and sofa as it appears to be the main seating area. I would then move the speaker on the bottom to the other side of the sofa. 

Is this what you’re suggesting?

Userlevel 7

Hi @nerdland 

That’s exactly what l’m suggesting. 😀
Also if possible you could mount the TV on a full motion wall mount and attach the the Beam to it. Then you could Angle the screen to be more parallel with the sofa when viewing the TV.

@AjTrek1 I might give that a try tomorrow. Is there any reason that would be better than this?

Userlevel 7

Hi @nerdland 

To answer your question view diagram below. The picture on the left depicts how dialog (yellow line) should remain inside the surround bubble (blue circle).  The picture on the right shows how dialog is outside of the surround bubble which is what you don’t want.

The link takes you to an example of a mount for the Beam that can attached to a full motion TV wall mount allowing it to move with the TV angle.

https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Soundbar-Mount-Compatible-Sonos/dp/B07HGJDS87/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&hvadid=78615208786562&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=sonos+beam+mounting+bracket&qid=1597882326&sr=8-9&tag=mh0b-20

Edit: Your diagram IMO only works if you can place the TV on the credenza along the far wall as I interpret it’s location to be.

Cheers!

@AjTrek1 Yeah, I understand that the TV on the credenza and speakers on the back wall would be more ideal. I might think about doing that, although I really prefer the TV where it is. But I don’t really understand why the one on the left in your diagram is better than the one on the right. The yellow line in your diagram seems to be throwing the dialogue to the left. Why? It should be a 45-degree line since the speaker is angled at 45 degrees, right? I attached an image with a 45-degree line.

I appreciate your feedback, I’m just trying to understand why that would be better.

Userlevel 7

Hi @nerdland 

Your diagram above IMO is more ideal than your original diagram. You can always try my suggestion and yours to see which setup works best for you. Heck you might even try your original. As always you have to be the final judge as I can only speculate. Good luck to achieve your optimum listening arrangement. 

Cheers!