Answered

How to use play 5 for both line in and beam surround sound

• 1 December 2018
  • 4 replies

The whole point of buying beam was to integrate my play 5 in with the TV and voice control. But I discovered that doing so loses core functionality of being able to play records or CDs or anything via line in. Has anyone figured out a work around for this?
icon

Best answer by pwt 1 December 2018, 18:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What does not work? You can't connect the Play:5 to the record player any more? Or are you saying you cannot switch to line-in by voice (which is a deficiency of the Alexa integration)? Or something else?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Presumably this refers to the limitation whereby the Line-In capability of PLAY:5s is disabled when they are used as rear speakers in a surround-sound configuration? I agree that this is a rather obscure limitation, and must be disappointing to those who encounter it.

I'm not aware of a workaround.
Right now my "solution" is to set two rooms. One TV room with the beam and a LIVINGROOM with stereo paired play 5s. I can group them together to sync up. It's not ideal but technically works. So unless anyone has a better idea I guess this is the method I will use..
Userlevel 1
This is essentially the same issue that I have with the sub outputs on the connect:amp & amp. These are disabled as well when configured as surrounds. I understand this when connected and listening to the TV....but for Music - everything should be active!