Question

How to tell if Playbar is getting 5.1

• 13 June 2013
  • 4 replies

Badge
Is there a way from controller software to tell what type of audio signal the playbar is receiving from source?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Henry, You can find out what type of audio your PLAYBAR is currently playing through the About screen on one of your Sonos controllers. For example, if you're using the Sonos Desktop Controller, you can select Help --> About My Sonos System (on a Windows PC) or Sonos --> About Sonos (on a Mac). You can scroll to where your PLAYBAR is displayed and it will show you what type of audio is being played.
Badge +1
See also an idea of how to make this more visible in the controller:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/controller_display_of_playbar_audio_input_type
Mine states stereo which I would assume is not 5.1. Is that right?
Badge
Mine states stereo which I would assume is not 5.1. Is that right?

That's correct. Assuming your TV is passing through 5.1 -- the source format is something Sonos doesn't support (Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1 Plus, DTS etc.) so it will default to Stereo.

If your TV isn't passing 5.1 via optical that's another issue and is independent of the source format.