Question

How to set up outdoor movie to play through existing outdoor Sonos Speakers?

• 12 July 2017
  • 2 replies

I am thinking of purchasing an outdoor projector and screen but would like to play the Movie sound through my two sets of outdoor sonos speakers. I control them through my Sonos app on my phone. Is this possible? If so how?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge
I've not done this but I'd think it would run on the same principals of the line-in function:
Use the line-in port on your speaker. You'll then select [line-in] in your Sonos app. Since the line-in port is a 3.5mm "headphone" jack, you will need to check if the projector has a 3.5mm line out. If it has RCA-style plugs, you can get an "RCA to 3.5mm adapter" pretty much anywhere.

As far as the two sets, you'll need to find the correct Y-splitter to terminate with two 3.5mm off of your projector.

Let's assume you have a 3.5mm line out on the projector. You would need a male to dual female splitter (one 3.5mm on one end and two 3.5mm jacks on the other). You would need two more male/male 3.5mm cords of your needed length from the splitter to each speaker. If you have RCA jacks on the back of the projector, you just need the adapter to convert it to 3.5mm.

In the SONOS app on your phone, go to the upper left corner where the three lines are (aka the hamburger) and scroll down to the [line-in] select each of the outdoor Sonos speakers. BTW, I don't think the line-in option will show for those speakers until it is actually plugged in.

Hope that works for you!
Just out of curiosity, what outdoor Sonos speakers do you have? I wasn't aware they made any.

If you're powering other companies outside speakers using a Connect:Amp (the only way I can figure it might be working), it might negate some of what the kr4k3n said, i.e. you'd only need a set of stereo RCA to RCA cables, and hook them from the projector to the Connect: Amp analog in jacks. Other than that minor difference, everything else that the kr4k3n said was correct, as near as I can tell.