Answered

how to connect turntable to sonos beam and two sonos one SL

• 25 March 2021
  • 4 replies

• Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hi,
I opened this topic to know how to connect a turntable to a sonos home teather consisting of sonos beam and two sonos one SL ( later I will also buy the sonos sub ).
It seems to me that I can connect a turntable to both an Sonos Port and a Sonos Amp but it is not clear to me which one to buy.

I have this questions.
If I decide to buy a third-party receiver ( such as Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha ) and connect the turntable to the receiver, then how do I connect the amplifier to my Sonos products?
If I bought a Pro-Ject Carbon turntable instead, how do I connect the turntable to my Sonos products?

Kind regards

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 25 March 2021, 13:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You will need to use a Sonos product that has a line-in port, such as:

• Port/Connect
  • Amp/Connect:Amp
  • Five/Play:5

A turntable with built-in/external pre-amp can connect to the Line-In which becomes an audio source you can play to the Sonos device or other Sonos devices, which can also be grouped together for playing the audio throughout the Home. 

My suggestion would be to go for the ‘Five’ as you also get a great speaker with that option, that’s if you can find use the additional speaker of course.

You can use a Sonos Amp, Port, or Five to connect a turntable to your Sonos system, as all 3 have aux inputs.  Make sure that your turntable has a built in pre-amp, or you a separate pre-amp, as none of the sonos products has the pre-amp required for turntables.

All of these products have other features as well, so the best choice for you depends on your partiuclar needs.   If you want to power passive speakers as well, then the amp is right choice.  If you want to connect to 3rd party receiver/amp, or the lowest cost option, then the Port is the way to go.  If you want the built in speaker of the Five, then that’s your choice.

You can use a Sonos Amp, Port, or Five to connect a turntable to your Sonos system, as all 3 have aux inputs.  Make sure that your turntable has a built in pre-amp, or you a separate pre-amp, as none of the sonos products has the pre-amp required for turntables.

All of these products have other features as well, so the best choice for you depends on your partiuclar needs.   If you want to power passive speakers as well, then the amp is right choice.  If you want to connect to 3rd party receiver/amp, or the lowest cost option, then the Port is the way to go.  If you want the built in speaker of the Five, then that’s your choice.

Thanks for the reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Or you can use an line in to optical adapter, and use the supplied Sonos Optical to HDMI adapter and plug that lot into the beam  This may be acheivable using an HDMI switch too but I’ve not tried it.  Also the sound  volume will be low.  

Far better, but more expensive, are the suggestions above ;)