Answered

How to connect a pair of sonos five to tv if tv has no 3.5 jack

• 17 February 2022
  • 9 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

Hi, can anyone please help with connecting a pair of sonos fives to my tv? I know you can plug a 3.5 jack into the back of the speaker but my tv does not have that sort of connection. Is there any way to go around this as I want to be able to play for example youtube videos through my sonos five speakers. 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 18 February 2022, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

If the TV has an optical out then you could get a digital analog converter with suitable connections.

The Play:5 is not designed to be a TV speaker and audio and video won’t sync perfectly.

Userlevel 7

Also if your TV has a RCA L/R audio output you can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable.  But as said the Five’s aren’t the best speaker for TV audio.

Also if your TV has a RCA L/R audio input you can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable.  But as said the Five’s aren’t the best speaker for TV audio.

I think you mean RCA L/R audio output...

Userlevel 7

Also if your TV has a RCA L/R audio input you can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable.  But as said the Five’s aren’t the best speaker for TV audio.

I think you mean RCA L/R audio output...

Thanks, made the correction!

I had an idea that I could get around this by using and apple tv and selecting the sound output as the speakers in the settings of the apple tv as I believe it can airplay cast. Do you think I could do that and avoid any sound delays? also no cables to the speaker is a plus.

Userlevel 7

If you already own the AppleTV that may be a work around. However, if you don’t the cost difference to use a Sonos Beam2 is $270 ($499 less $179 for AppleTV 4K with 32GB storage). Also everything would have to run through the AppleTV. The Beam2 would be available for all sources. The sound quality would be better in IMO.

So I could pair the beam 2 to the pair of sonos fives to get the tv sound to play through them? I only want to play music videos on youtube through them and would use apple music for normal music listening on the fives.

Userlevel 7

Yes you could GROUP (not pair) a Beam2 to your Fives. However with the Beam2 you have the Left/center/right channels built in. You cannot use the Fives as left/right channels and the Beam2 as a center channel.

Grouping the Beam2 to the Fives would still have a 75ms delay for TV audio to the Fives. Music streamed to the Beam2 and Fives while grouped would  play in sync. 

ok, thanks for that.