How to configure the PS4 for DTS to Dolby Digital conversion (Blu-Ray)

• 28 January 2017
  • 2 replies

Unfortunately I can't get my PS4 to optput Dolby Digital 5.1 when playing a DTS track. Instead all I receive on the Playbar is Stereo (works fine when the track actually is in Dolby Digital in the first place).

I searched this forum and the odd thing was that every link posted to an article which should explain the proper PS4 configuration for DTS on the fly conversion to Dolby Digital 5.1 results in an Error message.

Everything is set to Bitstream (Dolby) and I ticked of the DTS box inside the output configurations. Tested everything with HDMI out and my PS4 connected directly to the Playbar.

Funny thing: DTS to DD comversion works flawlessly on my PS3 with its opitcal out directly plugged into the Playbar.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've looked into it. It doesn't.

So enjoy The Force Awakens in stunning stereo....
Userlevel 1
Yeah it does...

Just hit options when playing a BluRay on the PS4, go to Sound/Audio.

You have to set your PS4 to Bitstream (Mix) and hook the soundbar up to the optical out of your PS4.

If you want to route the sound through your TV make sure it can pass DD5.1 through. A lot of TVs downmix it to Stereo.

Alternatively embedd the PS4 optical back into HDMI using an HDMI audio embedder.