Answered

How capable is the Beam in a rather large living room.

• 11 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
At the moment im owning a yamaha ysp 2700 soundbar. Before that i had the playbar but ended up selling it cause it lacked HDMI. Now that the beam is out with hdmi im seriously considering switching back. I think the ysp 2700 is the better soundbar, but sonos is sonos.

I have a rather large living room (9m by 6m) and im sitting at 4m from the soundbar. Is the beam capable of throwing sound that far in the room?

Thanks 🙂
icon

Best answer by Chris 11 October 2018, 16:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In all honesty - no I don't think you would be happy with just the BEAM. Now if your talking BEAM with a Sonos sub and some surround Play:1s. Ok that I would jump on board with.

I love the convenience and the HDMI input of the Beam. But stand alone I don't find it overly impressive. I do have it now setup with my Sonos Sub and Play:1s surrounds - and yes then I'm impressed with the sound and the experience.

If your really wanting the HDMI input but aren't planning to go all out with full 5.1 …… maybe the upcoming Sonos Amp fits your need. It's looks to be pretty impressive if you have some good speakers to use with it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
In all honesty - no I don't think you would be happy with just the BEAM. Now if your talking BEAM with a Sonos sub and some surround Play:1s. Ok that I would jump on board with.

I love the convenience and the HDMI input of the Beam. But stand alone I don't find it overly impressive. I do have it now setup with my Sonos Sub and Play:1s surrounds - and yes then I'm impressed with the sound and the experience.

If your really wanting the HDMI input but aren't planning to go all out with full 5.1 …… maybe the upcoming Sonos Amp fits your need. It's looks to be pretty impressive if you have some good speakers to use with it.

Thanks for the honest reply. I have also been thinking about the new amp, but it gets rather expensive if i also need to get some speakers alongside it. Speaking of which, is there any info on what speakers would work well with the upcoming amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well any good speakers are going to work well. Sonos is supposed to be releasing some Sonance speakers that are certified with the Sonos Amp - - - advantage being that you can run trueplay tuning with those speakers (where using other speakers you can't).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully also by end of next year we see a Playbar Gen2. Playbar yes will fill a room. While I say BEAM isn't very good stand alone in larger room - the Playbar actually is good enough to stand alone.

We just need a Gen2 Playbar with HDMI and Airplay2 compatibility. Which I would imagine we will soon see as the only Gen1 left are Playbar and Connect (I don't think there will be a Gen2 Play:3).

I think we will see a Gen2 Connect by early next year and a Gen2 Playbar by holiday season next year.

playbase is unique in that it kinda is a Gen2 already but doesn't have HDMI.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hopefully also by end of next year we see a Playbar Gen2. Playbar yes will fill a room. While I say BEAM isn't very good stand alone in larger room - the Playbar actually is good enough to stand alone.

We just need a Gen2 Playbar with HDMI and Airplay2 compatibility. Which I would imagine we will soon see as the only Gen1 left are Playbar and Connect (I don't think there will be a Gen2 Play:3).

I think we will see a Gen2 Connect by early next year and a Gen2 Playbar by holiday season next year.

playbase is unique in that it kinda is a Gen2 already but doesn't have HDMI.

Yeah a new playbar with hdmi would be an absolute godsend for me. Ill see what 2019 has in store