Question

How can i get my Sonos 5.1 and Mac Mini to give me 5.1DD

• 7 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi Everyone,
I just invested in a Sonos 5.1 System which i am feeding with my 2011 Mac Mini and into my rather dated Samsung LA40C530 using HDMI. Although the system sounds great and works just fine i am not able to get 5.1DD. It is just outputting in Stereo.
I have many threads on here about how this can be corrected, but what is the best option for this setup? Buy a new TV? Buy an Octava switch? or something else? or even am i doing something wrong?
I just want to make sure that what i buy is the right kit to get the 5.1 sound up and running with this setup.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well first of all you need to identify if the Mac mini is outputting DD5.1 audio. Then you need to determine if your TV i capable of passing a DD 5.1 signal through via HDMI in to the optical output. Check the specs of both devices and take it from there
The Mac is capable of sending 5.1DD, but it only sending out at the moment 2 channel stereo via the HDMI to the TV. If however the TV is not able to pass a 5.1 signal then i suspect the Mac will default to the 2 channel signal automatically. I may try bypassing the TV as a test with the optical cable and put it straight to the Playbar from the mac, which has an optical output on it. However i really want it going through the TV so i can put the PS4 etc through the Playbar as well. The TV is 7 years old so i suspect its not up to the jpb perhaps
I decided to just go for the Octava HDMI switch. Problem instantly solved. System came alive!!