Horrible Bass and no app for me.

• 16 June 2020
  • 6 replies

After parting with £800 for my new Sonos ARC and plugging it into my Sony Bravia AG9 with EARC, I was unhappy to find that when playing music certain tracks have the most awful thud on the bass beat...(sounds like someone thumping a wet Wellington)

As for the app, I'm unable to use either S1 or S2, turns out my Android phone isn't compatible...(BlackBerry Dtek60) as much as I wanted and waited for this new soundbar to arrive, I don't think I'd have bought it if I'd known I'd need to buy a brand new phone as well to operate it.

So now I have to borrow my partners iPhone to use the features. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’d check the system settings in your S2 app (on the device that it works on). The newest version as of now should be in the last 3 days there has been and update to version 12.0.1 which should address this known bass issue with the Arc. 👍

Had to turn True play off which improved things slightly, the latest update to fix bass issues has done nothing, I'm going to listen to the same songs on another Arc in store, if it doesn't play back with the flappy bass that mine does then I would assume I have a fault.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For sure give that a shot. Another thing just to confirm—a few other people mentioned that TruePlay seems to create a tinny sound if you used a new iPhone like the X or 11. Something about the mic characteristics on the newer devices compared to say an older gen iPad or iPhone.

Not sure that’s the same case for you - but just something I thought of given you mentioned it’s better without TruePlay on.

Best of luck!

I'll let you know the outcome..

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Had to turn True play off which improved things slightly, the latest update to fix bass issues has done nothing, I'm going to listen to the same songs on another Arc in store, if it doesn't play back with the flappy bass that mine does then I would assume I have a fault.

make sure to update both the app and the firmware of the arc (in app). Also, the fix should have at least improved things

Well the upshot is this....

The bass will not improve unless I have the money to buy the sub, on its own the ARC is crap, and can not handle low end at all.

On the hole im pretty unimpressed with my £800 purchase, I have already had to buy a new Android phone to enable me to download and use the S2 app.

Now to add to my woes the app can't find the speaker, it works only intermittently, I have to go through the rigmarole of unplugging or going through the setup procedure in an effort for it to find my ARC..unplugging worked once only, and now since it's happened again, those measures no longer work.

So the app sits on my new phone doing nothing, and my soundbar thuds and thumps it's way through songs and movies.

Conclusion...should have bought the Bose.