Question

Home theatre with projector not playing surround sound

• 10 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello Sonos community :)

I have an issue where i am unable to get surround sound working on my home theatre setup.

Whenever i play netflix on my projector connected to my Sonos surround sound, it does not play any audio, I need to go into the audio settings of netflix and change it to stereo and then it works. (in stereo only)

The sonos app says the speakers are setup for surround sound.

This is very frustrating and would love to get surround sound working correctly

My setup is a chromecast & projector connected to an Avencore HDMI 4x2 True Matrix Switch & Splitter via HDMI, Optical cable from Avencore matrix to a sonos playbar. 

1 playbar, 2 * play 1 & 1 sub all connected wireless.

Im happy to purchased some new kit to get this working.

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your profile says you have a Playbar. This needs a Dolby Digital signal: DD+ and DTS will not work. What is your source sending?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

What audio codec is your projector outputting? I know a lot of projector users run their projector through an avr for sound 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I know I did not ever get surround from a Chromecast to my Beam, though that was via HDMI. Never really knew why, but I seem to remember reading it was because the Chromecast only does DD+, that my TV could only transform to stereo DD.

The projector is a Sony vpl-hw40es.

Its connected via HDMI to the switch which also connects the Chromecast via HDMI.

im not sure what audio codec the projector outputs. i didn't think it did audio as the chromecast connects to the switch and switch is optical to the playbar.

Im happy to purchase an AVR, would this replace the switch?  Or are there any media centre type of computers which have a hdd, tv coax and netflix app that works with google home hub device?  ideally i just want to yell out google play netflix and it works with surround sound. 

thanks so far for the suggestions.