Answered

Home Theatre - Unique Setup in Small Space

• 7 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello everyone and thanks for all the great information on here.

I’ve been using Sonos for many years so I’m using a Bridge, 2 x Connect:Amp, and a Play:1.

My space and my home theatre set up are unique.

I’m using Sonos for music playback (Tidal, Spotify) as well as my little home theatre with a big screen. 

The theatre space is built in the corner of a 25’ x 35’ shop with 16’ . We have a loft in one end, below which is 8’ open joist ceiling. Under the loft and in the corner is the living room with with a roll up 10’ widescreen and projector (and leather couch) where we watch movies.

Are you with me so far? 😁

Connected to the back of the projector is a Roku Express 4K video streaming stick. Auduo goes into the projector through Roku‘s HDMI and from the projector line-out to a Connect:Amp line-in. The Roku delivers “Dolby Audio™ and DTS pass through via HDMI®“. it’s all very compact which suits this small space well.

I want to improve my theatre sound quality so I’ve been considering adding a playbar or beam on the ceiling above the screen or the wall beside it.

so, here are my questions:

— will the Playbar or Beam connect OK to the system (being mostly “old“ Sonus technology)?

- can I mount either device on the ceiling above the projector screen or vertically on the wall beside it?

- I assume the smaller sound bar, Beam, is a better choice for the situation? (Because of the small space and it looks like I can mount this on the wall which would be preferable.)

- Will the audio delivered from the Roku box be compatible? Sound OK? Or is there a better way?

Thank you, 

Gerry

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 8 January 2023, 10:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

In general, I think that attempting to use any of the soundbars will be frustrating for you because of some wiring constraints. Here are some questions to start the discussion.

Do you watch any sources other than ROKU? Does your projector offer an HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC connection?

How are your current speakers placed relative to the screen?

Hi buzz and thanks for your response. 

The projector does not have HDMI-ARC of any type. It’s pretty basic. 

it’s only the Roku that I’m streaming right now. I could change that out, but it’s just so compact and easy…😁

I have two pairs of small speakers, connected to two Connect:Amps. A pair above the screen, and  above the couch. 

Someone in here mentioned a device that splits HDMI signal into separate audio and video. That would allow me to bypass the projector at least. 🤔
Thanks for your help.

Gerry

Do you want surround sound?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When you want to stay on S1 you need to source a Playbar or Beam (Gen 1).

Soundbars are not made to be installed vertically, they emit left, center and right channels that should arrive at your ears in a horizontal fashion.

Soundbars are supposed to be place under the screen, not above it, to make voice seem to emanate from the screen. This could not be critical for you though.

Do you want surround sound?

It would be nice, someday, but right now I’m just trying to improve the clarity of the audio.

When you want to stay on S1 you need to source a Playbar or Beam (Gen 1).

Soundbars are not made to be installed vertically, they emit left, center and right channels that should arrive at your ears in a horizontal fashion.

Soundbars are supposed to be place under the screen, not above it, to make voice seem to emanate from the screen. This could not be critical for you though.

Hi 106rallye, That’s good information about the verticality. Thank you

Why do you say that I need a Playbar or beam (Gen1) to connect to S1? I do have a Play:1 connected to the system so I know the newer components will work, though I had some challenges connecting when I first set up.

Userlevel 7

Why do you say that I need a Playbar or beam (Gen1) to connect to S1? I do have a Play:1 connected to the system so I know the newer components will work, though I had some challenges connecting when I first set up.

A Play:1 is not considered a newer product in Sonos terms.

Any new Sonos product released from 2020 require the S2 app. They are not compatible with S1

The Arc, Beam (Gen2) and Ray soundbars all require S2

S1 and S2 compatibility

Depending on the age of your CONNECT:AMP’s, they may be S2 compatible.

Some listeners feel that AMP sounds better than CONNECT:AMP, but this is personal, not a given. Ultimately, only you know what sounds “best” (to you). In your case I think that speaker quality, speaker placement, and room characteristics dominate. 

“Live” rooms (hard walls, ceiling, and floors, causing lots of reflections) create confusion for the listener because a previous sound is still bumping around in the room while the next sound is released. The solution is to add some sound absorbing rugs, drapes, and tapestry.

We don’t know anything about your “small” speakers. After you’ve improved the room, upgrading the speakers might be beneficial. Speakers located above the screen can be an issue, depending on the distance from screen center. Adding a complimentary set of speakers below the screen may help. Adding a SUB (take care with S1/S2 compatibility) will help with clarity because the small speakers will have a simpler job. The small speakers will have a less complex job after the bass is removed from their feed.

Replacing CONNECT:AMPs with ARC will allow surround sound, but you’ll need to jump though wiring hoops in order to deliver a proper audio signal to AMP.