Answered

Home theater without sound bar

• 5 June 2023
  • 2 replies

I have an Arc + sub + 2 ones right now but am moving into a room where visually a sound bar would not be ideal. There are windows or doors on almost every wall.

I’m planning to have a projector screen drop down when needed, which will cover a window, but otherwise would like to avoid seeing any hardware at all. So I’m wondering if I could do everything with in ceiling speakers. Can I do two Amps, 1 for the front pair to function instead of my Arc and a second rear pair as surrounds? And how terrible will this sound to me since I am currently used to the Arc?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 5 June 2023, 23:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

To answer your question...yes, you can use two Sonos Amps. One to drive the front in-ceiling and the other to drive in-ceiling as rear surrounds. However, just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Please continue reading….

Sonos In-ceiling speakers are not recommended for front speakers. They are traditionally used as music speakers in a large room but can be positioned as overhead surrounds. Both applications require the use of a Sonos Amp.

Sonos In-wall speakers are recommended as front speakers in a Sonos Home theater (if not using an Arc, Beam or Ray) typically flanking the TV on left and right.

In either situation you will not get Dolby Atmos sound. The center channel will be what is called a “Phantom” center created by the audio intersection of the left and right speakers. Here again that would be difficult to properly create with in-ceilng speakers.

The front speakers when setup properly will give the illusion that the audio is coming from the view screen and not from overhead. That said In-ceilig speakers would not be my choice as front speakers.

If you can find a dealer who carries AMINA speakers, consider these for the ceiling. These are a unique, high end product.