Question

Home Theater Setup

• 1 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I have the home theater set up for my tv.  I have a beam and two Sonos oneSL. Right now it is set to surround sound. Can I change it to a mono setting so that all three speakers are putting out the same sound? I’d like to be able to hear the voices instead of the background noise on the rear speakers. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I suspect that if it’s just a mono or stereo signal there’s no signal to be sent specifically to the rear speakers. But see if your tv can output a mono signal, set it, and see (listen to) what happens.

I tried turning the Apple TV to mono. The back speakers don’t work at all. I wonder if I can get another speaker to put at the back of the coach that pairs with the beam...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m sure the back speakers work. But in a 5.0 or 5.1 system with only a mono or stereo signal there is nothing being sent to them to play. With no signal, they will remain silent. 

Usually in a DD system, speech is sent to the centre channel unless a “directional” effect sends vocals to, say, rear left channel. 

You could try removing the One SL’s and then use them in a group with the Beam. There will be a delay of about 70msec which you may find distracting, like a slight echo. But try and see if it does what you want.