Help me understand surround sound - 2 x One SL, 2 X Play:One & Playbar

• 1 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a tv room which has my Sonos playbar and 2 x Sonos Play:1 setup as a 3:1 surround system... I’ve just been given 2 x Sonos One SL - I wanted to use these as the front surround but the app won’t let me add them to the same room. I can group them with the TV room but the audio is horrible and the sound isn’t controlled by the TV remote.

Am I doing something dumb or have I hit a limitation of the Sonos system?

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You don’t have 3.1 you have 5.1 already.  The Playbar plays the front left , centre and right channels.  You cannot add more speakers to this.

This is pretty standard for soundbar-based systems, as opposed to AVR-based systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No. you’re not being dumb, Sonos just doesn’t support what you’re trying to do.  The Beam, PlayBar, PlayBase and Arc all provide the front left & right and centre speakers. The options available are to add a Sub and/or 2 rear surround speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You don’t have 3.1 you have 5.1 already.  The Playbar plays the front left , centre and right channels.  You cannot add more speakers to this.

This is pretty standard for soundbar-based systems, as opposed to AVR-based systems.

Snap :)

Well, since you don’t have a sub at this point, it’s technically a 5.0 setup.

Thanks all - super helpful 

I guess i can use the Sonos One SL’s in other rooms - I thought that when adding the front speakers, the playbar would become a centre speaker, but the info above is helpful and clears up my mis-understanding.