HDMI splitter with ARC

• 3 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

I use an Apple TV with an older TV without HDMI ARC and a Sonos Beam. I have already settled on Airplay being the option I most like to get the audio from the Apple TV to the Beam (see here for reasons).

However I was wondering about somehow getting HDMI ARC into the system. Technically I think it should be possible to produce an HDMI splitter, which takes HDMI as input from the Apple TV and splits it into HDMI for the TV and HDMI ARC for the Beam. CEC commands would have to go to both devices.

Such a device would basically retrofit an older TV with an HDMI ARC port.

It seems there are HDMI ARC adapters, like this one, which in combination with an HDMI splitter could do the job. Neatest would be to have it in one box, but I could not find any.

Is anyone here using such a setup?

Regards, Robert

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Note that Airplay will limit the Beam to a Stereo signal, which is a waste of a Beam IMHO.

(I am not going to attempt to answer the HDMI part of your post as its not my area of expertise).

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Note that Airplay will limit the Beam to a Stereo signal, which is a waste of a Beam IMHO.

Controlav, that is a very good point which I was not aware of. I use the Beam standalone without any other speakers - does it make sense to use Dolby Surround in this case?

Regards, Robert

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Controlav, that is a very good point which I was not aware of. I use the Beam standalone without any other speakers - does it make sense to use Dolby Surround in this case?

Regards, Robert

I don’t have a Beam, but I do have two Playbars, one without any other speakers, and it is fantastic on its own. Clearly superior to my TV speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I don’t have a Beam, but I do have two Playbars, one without any other speakers, and it is fantastic on its own. Clearly superior to my TV speakers.

Yes, so far my Beam also outperforms the TV speakers by far. But is there further advantage in having Dolby Surround routed to the Beam (or the Playbar), or is stereo sound just as good when using the soundbar on its own?

Regards, Robert

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, so far my Beam also outperforms the TV speakers by far. But is there further advantage in having Dolby Surround routed to the Beam (or the Playbar), or is stereo sound just as good when using the soundbar on its own?

Regards, Robert

Oh for sure. My ears can tell when my system drops to a stereo signal (eg after I have messed with my configuration) and I do not have golden ears or anything.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Oh for sure. My ears can tell when my system drops to a stereo signal (eg after I have messed with my configuration) and I do not have golden ears or anything.

OK, thanks! Then I’ll need to look further into whether this would justify accepting the drawbacks of the optical connection in regards to having a neat remote volume control.

Regards, Robert