Question

HDMI Splitter or Audio Extractor that is CEC compatible

• 23 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a Samsung NU6900 4k TV (2018), and an Apple TV 4k.  I watch everything through the Apple TV (Apple TV+, Netflix, and Hulu) and I only use the Apple TV remote.  Utilizing a Beam I just bought and a pair of rear symfonisk speakers.

The only way to get Dolby 5.1 from the Apple TV 4k seems to be changing the audio out from Auto to Dolby 5.1

At this point my TV recognizes the Dolby Signal and passes it through the HDMI Arc  port to the Beam.  I then get an uncorrectable lip sync issue.  If I leave my Apple TV sound on AUTO, then I only get a 2.0 PCM stream to the beam.  I check this via the TV and the About section in the app.  I have tried every setting and the lip sync correction in the sonos app and my TV (which only goes one way).  I have also updated my TV firmware to be safe.  Its a budget 4k TV, so my guess it just can not compute fast enough.

Since I am only using the Apply TV 4k (in full 4k) for viewing, I want to get a splitter or extractor.  A splitter to split the HDMI to go to the TV and then the other HDMI to Beam or an extractor to go Apple TV and HDMI to TV and then TOS Link → Sonos Adapter → HDMI to the Beam.

I need the unit to also use CEC pass through, so my Apple TV can turn my TV on and off, I have no interest in adding another option to the mix.

Anyone using a unit that they can recommend that will work?  I am also not interested in spending 200$ the the HD Furry, looking for something cost effective.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @claimed4all,  

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this. Most TV's are compatible with Sonos home theater speakers, some may need additional configuration or may not work with Sonos. To troubleshoot the out of sync issue with your Sonos Beam and the Samsung TV, you may check this article about Audio and Video out of sync for some steps to see if this will resolve the issue. You may also check out the following community topics for your reference.

​https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lipsync-issues-6830351
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/beam-lip-sync-issue-hdmi-switch-6836687

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.