Question

HDMI from Home theater receiver into HDMI audio extractor

• 24 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I have a home theater receiver and I use only 3 content sources: HDMI from xfinity DVR box, HDMI from Chromecast, 2-ch Audio from my laptop headphone jack. All 3 sources go into my home theater receiver and I have one HDMI cable that comes out to feed my TV. Since my TV doesn't output a 5.1 dolby signal from the digital optical output jack, I need to feed the soundbar some other way. I'm thinking I could run the HDMI output cable from my home theater receiver into an HDMI audio extractor. From that extractor I could run HDMI to my TV and digital optical cable into the soundbar. I know the DVR box and the Chromecast audio will pass thru the home theater to the HDMI audio extractor, of course, but I also confirmed that my AUD1 input on my receiver (which I use to input the stereo signal from my laptop or iPhone headphone jack via 3mm-to-RCA cables) will output the audio signal onto the HDMI cable and, in theory, will pass thru the HDMI audio extractor into the playbar on the digital optical cable. So, WILL THIS WORK? It seems all 3 of my sources will get to the Soundbar and I'll basically be using my receiver as a "source switcher". I worry about 2 things: 1) will there be lip sync problems to overcome? 2) will the volume control on my receiver control the volume on my sonos environment or will I use the sonos app for volume control? Regarding #1, I already have to delay my receiver's audio by 125ms to get decent lip sync... so I expect with about 70ms delay embedded in sonos (I read that somewhere), I could dial down my receiver's delay from 125ms to 55ms and I should be ok. AM I CRAZY? WILL THIS WORK? I'm ready to buy the 5.1 sonos system, but really don't want to discover a fatal flaw after the purchase. And I really don't want to buy a Connect. Thanks for advice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You will not get 70ms delay into a Sonos Playbar - I believe some have said it is more like 20ms.

Your Playbar will get constant volume from receiver and the playbar volume will adjust via sonos controller or IR remote (the playbar has IR receiver).
Thank you to Chris for the reply. It occurred to me that the setup I proposed is essentially using my big home theater receiver solely as an HDMI controller and nothing more. Thus, I could get rid of it completely (bonus points from the wife) and just use an HDMI extractor with a remote control. Both my DVR and chromecast will have HDMI cords into the extractor and a third HDMI into it would be for music from either a) macbook using a thunder-to-hdmi adapter, or b) iPhone using a lightning-to-hdmi adapter. I typically only use macbook and iphone for music, but this setup would allow video image of either to be shown on the tv if I ever wanted that.
Does anyone see any general concerns or fatal flaws with this setup?? Would I be okay using a $26 HDMI extractor like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/NewBEP-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07438WJ8G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516805336&sr=8-7&keywords=hdmi+extractor+with+remote

Thanks in advance.