Question

Have Arc, where's Atmos?

Badge +3

First, I’m happy with the Arc; it delivers great 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, working with our Sony X950h TV’s eARC port (plus our Sub and rear One speakers). Ratings.com says that this Sony will pass through all flavors of surround signals, including Dolby Atmos. But I have yet to encounter the much ballyhooed Atmos. I’ve read that many Netflix shows include Atmos. I have revisited some of their most recent 5.1 DD+ original programming, on the assumption that if any shows would include Atmos, they would. I’ve streamed them both via my Roku box and via the Netflix app that’s native to the TV. In both cases, the S2 app confirms I’m getting a 5.1 DD+ signal, but there’s no evidence of Atmos. “Atmos” also doesn’t display in the app’s home-theater “room” setting. I’ve set all the TV’s HDMI ports to “enhanced,” as recommended. Am I missing something? Does anybody have thoughts re. why I don’t seem to be getting Atmos? It’s not mission-critical by any stretch of the imagination, but I’d love an answer.   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@AptosSonos

First to check, do you have the Premium subscription for Netflix? Any level lower won’t give you Dolby Atmos.

Badge +3

@AptosSonos

First to check, do you have the Premium subscription for Netflix? Any level lower won’t give you Dolby Atmos.

Aha! No, I don’t. I just upped it, but not just for Atmos. Since we now have an Ultra HD (4K) TV, might as well take advantage of it. Since the Sony has a native Netflix app, I won’t have to upgrade my Roku box for Netflix streaming.

Userlevel 7

Yes!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@AptosSonos

Aha! No, I don’t. I just upped it, but not just for Atmos. Since we now have an Ultra HD (4K) TV, might as well take advantage of it. Since the Sony has a native Netflix app, I won’t have to upgrade my Roku box for Netflix streaming.

So now you’ve got Atmos from the native Netflix app of your SONY TV?

Badge +3

So now you’ve got Atmos from the native Netflix app of your SONY TV?

Don’t know yet, because I haven’t tested it today. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Remember not all movies have Atmos. You can try for example6 Underground or the Punisher

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Remember not all movies have Atmos. You can try for example6 Underground or the Punisher

And my latest Netflix Atmos favourite is Another Life. Absolutely best Atmos sound effect in every single episode.

Badge +3

And my latest Netflix Atmos favourite is Another Life. Absolutely best Atmos sound effect in every single episode.

I can confirm that I am indeed getting Netflix Atmos, having upgraded to premium streaming. I revisited an original series I’d watched earlier and checked under System/about/etc. in the app and sure enough, the Arc was receiving Atmos. I’ll have to try “Another Life,” if only just to experience it in the fullest.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I can confirm that I am indeed getting Netflix Atmos, having upgraded to premium streaming. I revisited an original series I’d watched earlier and checked under System/about/etc. in the app and sure enough, the Arc was receiving Atmos. I’ll have to try “Another Life,” if only just to experience it in the fullest.

Glad to know! :) Not only Netflix, you may also find a lot of movies from other sources… Disney + is not available in my territory yet, but I bought quite a lot from iTunes Movies. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

First, I’m happy with the Arc; it delivers great 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, working with our Sony X950h TV’s eARC port (plus our Sub and rear One speakers). Ratings.com says that this Sony will pass through all flavors of surround signals, including Dolby Atmos. But I have yet to encounter the much ballyhooed Atmos. I’ve read that many Netflix shows include Atmos. I have revisited some of their most recent 5.1 DD+ original programming, on the assumption that if any shows would include Atmos, they would. I’ve streamed them both via my Roku box and via the Netflix app that’s native to the TV. In both cases, the S2 app confirms I’m getting a 5.1 DD+ signal, but there’s no evidence of Atmos. “Atmos” also doesn’t display in the app’s home-theater “room” setting. I’ve set all the TV’s HDMI ports to “enhanced,” as recommended. Am I missing something? Does anybody have thoughts re. why I don’t seem to be getting Atmos? It’s not mission-critical by any stretch of the imagination, but I’d love an answer.   

What size is your Sony X95H? 

That’s one TV I am looking at. 

:)

Badge +3

What size is your Sony X95H? 

That’s one TV I am looking at. 

:)

55 inches.

Badge +3

Glad to know! :) Not only Netflix, you may also find a lot of movies from other sources… Disney + is not available in my territory yet, but I bought quite a lot from iTunes Movies. 

“Territory”? I noticed the British spelling of favorite--”favourite”. Are you in Canada?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

“Territory”? I noticed the British spelling of favorite--”favourite”. Are you in Canada?

No, I'm on Hong Kong.

Badge +3

No, I'm on Hong Kong.

Interesting times, there.