Google Play Movies DD 5.1 Not Working with Playbase

• 21 May 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have Sony Android TV (55XBR850D) that has no issues passing through DD 5.1 to my Sonos for built in apps like Netflix, Amazon and connected HDMI devices Apple TV, PS4 etc. The only issue I have is with purchased or rented movies on the built in Google Play app on my TV it won't passthrough the DD 5.1 and the Sonos says under About page that is receiving Stereo only. Has anyone else had this issue on other TV's I'm trying to determine if this is just an issue with my TV or Google Play not working right with Sonos speakers? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Reventon85, from some Googling it seems that Google Play Movies outputs in Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), which is too high bandwidth to come over an optical connection and must use HDMI. If you're able to use your Google Play Movies account on some other box e.g. Roku that connects to the TV via HDMI, then the TV can probably transcode that into standard Dolby Digital which the PLAYBAR can use. Otherwise, have a look in your TV's settings and see if you can adjust any settings like 'Digital Optical Out' to either Dolby Digital, or if that option isn't there, PCM.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for the reply. My Sony TV is already set to output compress audio without change on Auto setting but when I set to PCM I get Stereo for every input including Google Play Movies still. So like you said looks my only option is to pick up a chrome cast or roku and plug in using hdmi and try that to see if I get a dd signal.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
My goal is to stream 4K movies on Google play with Dolby Digital does anyone on this forum know if the Google Chrome cast ultra can output Dolby Digital since its connected by hdmi and my tv has no issues handling dd through HDMI i'm limited to the chrome cast or my actual TV in able to get 4k.
Userlevel 1
Omg. Dear Tom B... I thought the Playbar was "designed for streaming services". How come, then, it won't work with Google Play Movies, which *is* a streaming service? Can you please please please go stand in front of your CEO's door and transmit to him, from all of us, to wake up and start living in 2017 where almost every service outputs DD+? Google Movies, Amazon, Netflix... hello?!

While there, please also tell him to put his thinking cap on, and start thinking about adding 7.1 and other multichannel setups... it's already late by 2+ years, but better late than never. Sonos makes great sounding products, but please oh please, stop frustrating your customers!!!

With love, and in pain,
-Boris
Userlevel 1
My goal is to stream 4K movies on Google play with Dolby Digital does anyone on this forum know if the Google Chrome cast ultra can output Dolby Digital since its connected by hdmi and my tv has no issues handling dd through HDMI i'm limited to the chrome cast or my actual TV in able to get 4k.

Hi mate. Did you get an answer to this? I probably have the exact same Sony as you and I'm getting 5.1 on everything but Google Play Movies. Have you tested the Chromecast Ultra to see if that will work with Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus?
Userlevel 1

Hi mate. Did you get an answer to this? I probably have the exact same Sony as you and I'm getting 5.1 on everything but Google Play Movies. Have you tested the Chromecast Ultra to see if that will work with Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus?

I just tested my old Chromecast and it works with that so presumably the Ultra is the same.
Badge
Hi, any solution to this that doesnt require extra hardware? I have a lovely new Sony XE90 outputting to a Playbar but all i’m getting via the Google Play app is stereo sound.
You can play all Google play movies via YouTube app in 5.1. I currently do this on my PS4