Future Sonos System Expandability

• 2 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Would it make sense to have the Sonos app and necessary hardware licensed for TVs?  I am not talking about entry level TVs but higher mid to high end product lines for the manufacturers.  I envision a Sonos system where the consumer doesn’t want a soundbar or surround system but does wan’t to have better sound from their display source.  Maybe keep the Sonos OneSL as an entry level speaker.  I could see someone wanting to here the content from what is on the TV out doors where they have a Sonos amp with Sonance or other speaker set up and not have the sound playing through the soundbar in a room without any listeners.  I know the port does this job, but I am looking at way to minimize the hardware foot print in the home.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It might, but that’s pretty far out of their wheelhouse. I could see a marketing deal like they did with BMW, though.

Many TV maufacturers...Sony, Samsung, LG, Viziya...sell their own brand of soundbars and audio systems.  I doubt they would be too interested in partnering with Sonos to put audio tech in their TVs rather than use their own.  I also don’t think Sonos would be too interesting in giving competitors that sort of control and access to their firmware, particularly after the issues they have had with Google.

Of course, it’s also not a great strategy to spend a lot of money on a combo TV /audio system, as an upgrade to either side of the house will require replacing everything.

ikea, if they ever started making TVs, might be the exception.  Sonos already has a well established relationship with them through the symfonisk speakers.  It would make sense to include a Ray level audio system on a hypothetical ikea TV and fit in pretty well with ikeas smart home strategy and target demographic pretty well, I would imagine.

There also was a rumor regarding Sonos possilbly getting into the video streaming market in some way.  Nothing has shown from it, and it seems more likely that Sonos would have a TV app to control your Sonos, rather than embed a sonos speaker in a TV.

As for your use case of wanting to mute volume in the TV room, and play it at volume in another...you can do that already.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It might, but that’s pretty far out of their wheelhouse. I could see a marketing deal like they did with BMW, though.

Did you mean Audi?

Yea, probably. One of those car companies….