Forcing Beam + 2x Play 1's to play in 5.1

• 29 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
Is there a way to force surround sound from the speakers even though the content might only be in stereo? My old (early 2000's) Sony amp could do it... ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

They actually do....kind of. It's a lot like Dolby Pro Logic, the data that ends up being sent to the rears is pretty low in volume. You could either put your ears next to them and hear it actually working, or turn them up in the controller app. Unfortunately, it doesn't discriminate between true 5.1 and stereo content from the TV, so when you had the true 5.1, the surrounds might be way too loud. But I'd suspect you could find a happy medium.

I don't think any manufacturer has done a good job of this, the "fake" surround signal like Dolby Pro Logic is as good as I've ever seen, and I wouldn't call it "good". Just barely acceptable, in comparison.

Your mileage may vary, as we all have different ears and brains that process data (and yes, I hear the guy from Life of Brian in the background, yelling "I don't").
Badge +1
Got it to work! It's just dependent on the OTA DVB-T channel.. lol! Some will have Dolby Digital and be heard on all the speakers, others will default to PCM and thus not work with the back speakers....