Feature request: Roam as surround speaker

Userlevel 3

I was thinking about getting the Roam for two things both of which I only do occasionally: listen to music in the backyard, and watch a movie that is worth having surround sound for. But I’ve just found out the second use is not possible.

I’ve read other posts about technical issues, things like “re-tuning the Trueplay” but since I’m Android, that’s a feature of my Arc I can’t use anyway. In response to a request for this on the Move someone said voice assistants would have to be disabled and re-activated every time - why not a temporary disable when put into surround mode? Got to be do-able surely?

My problem is I’ve got no good place for a permanent rear speaker, so a portable speaker is the ideal solution: why can’t I have the option of using the Roam - even if there are some limitations? Add this feature and I’m getting one ASAP.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Yep +1 for this

Userlevel 1

Also, +1 for this. 

Perfect solution for my wife.  She does not want the permanent surround speakers, but a pair of Roams used and charged in other rooms would be perfect while watching movies or sports, and then return them to their other rooms later.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Agree, dont have power outlets anywhere near. Would be neat to have two roams for that purpose!

Badge

Would love to see this enabled.  I’m in the same boat as kraig109 and ejules.  My wife isn’t keen on permanent surrounds and we don’t have power outlets to hand.

Userlevel 1

Please please please…love to have movie night outside, and this would be perfect!

Userlevel 2

please make it not be a commercial decision

Userlevel 1

Bumping this - would be a great feature.

I am very disappointed  that you can’t use roam for surround sound. 

it’s why I bought them. Now I need to return them

should have bought UE boom

I am very disappointed  that you can’t use roam for surround sound. 

it’s why I bought them. Now I need to return them

should have bought UE boom

And exactly how are you going to use a UE Boom as surround sound?

UE boom doesn’t work with sonos.

but more importantly neither does the roam. VERY disappointing. 

I already own a UE boom, buy one more and i will have a great system. better then two roams.

What is the point of buying a sonos speaker that is not compatible with a sonos system?

The Roam works perfectly with Sonos, just can't be used as surrounds.  Sort of like a One can't be used as a TV soundbar.  Horses for courses.

How?

my living room has a beam and a subwoofer. how do i add the roams to this room?

the options in the app are:

+connect second sub

+set up surrounds

So i just tried pairing my two sonos roams to bluetooth - so i can listen to them in stereo. 

Let down again. It doesn’t work. you can only use one at a time. 

This product is a dud.

How?

my living room has a beam and a subwoofer. how do i add the roams to this room?

the options in the app are:

+connect second sub

+set up surrounds

Again, you can’t use the Roams as surround sound, but you can set them up as separate room in your Sonos system.    Sonos is a multiroom system.    FYI, you also can’t use a Port or Move as components in a home theatre room, but they definitely are compatible with Sonos.

So i just tried pairing my two sonos roams to bluetooth - so i can listen to them in stereo. 

Let down again. It doesn’t work. you can only use one at a time. 

This product is a dud.

Roam has its value for sure, but if your priorities are surround sound and stereo pairing over bluetooth, then Roam is not the right product. Personally, I’m fine with Ones for surround sound, and I don’t use bluetooth enough to need a stereo pair. I’d much rather use a single Move than a pair of Roams.  I like the Roam mostly for form factor and waterproofing, and use them as a wired pair in a bathroom.  

I would welcome additional features to the Roam, especially these that are easy to assume already exist, but I think there are some technical and logistical/ease of use issues that would be hard to overcome.

Would love to have this feature. It would certainly get me to buy a second Roam.

For small apartments and users who don't have the space for Sonos one with stands, I don't see why not allowing people who have two roams add them as surrounds. We can already stream/cast to all three via airplay, with a beam. This would be a nice feature and really move more roams off the shelf if they could be used as surrounds.