Feature request: HDMI/Dolby TrueHD

• 29 May 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello!

I want to see a playbar with hdmi support. Or if you manage to decode Dolby TrueHD to Dolby 5.1 with your current playbar so we can keep enjoying good sound with sonos. It's actually a shame that such a good sound system like Sonos, and if we consider what it costs, doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or at least have the ability to decode it to 5.1. Instead we end up with stereo sound when watching today's movies. If you use chromecast Ultra, the sound is stereo. Google movies, stereo, if you don't choose to play the movie through Youtube... and so on. That's just...old...out of date.

Please make this happens. I promise you it will be an win-win situation for both you and us.

I know this has been discussed many times before but it seems that you just keep looking the other way.

Best regards!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

As has been discussed in many threads, Sonos has scheduled an announcement for June 4. There are many who think it will be a PLAYBAR style device with an HDMI input of some kind. Don't have any knowledge about what codecs it might decode, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Dolby TrueHD cannot be transported over an optical connection, so there is no way any current Sonos hardware can accept it. The forthcoming S14 device appears to support HDMI, so it should be at least technically feasible for it to support more advanced codecs.
Dolby TrueHD cannot be transported over an optical connection, so there is no way any current Sonos hardware can accept it. The forthcoming S14 device appears to support HDMI, so it should be at least technically feasible for it to support more advanced codecs.

Well, I know that. I might have expressed myself badly.

I hope so!