Feature Request - Gimballed up-firing Atmos channels on ARC

• 14 January 2024
  • 4 replies

After planning our Theatre Room with the best measurements I could given I have a raised 2nd row, it would be nice (during the tuning process) to be asked “How many rows do you have?”, “Where are your ERA 300’s placed (first row or second)”?, “How far away is the first row?”, “Ceiling height?”…...in the hopes that these questions would actively (physically gimballed) angle the up-firing ATMOS speakers so ATMOS effects can be disbursed for sound across both rows, or just the first row….Of course, by extension we’d have to run the tuning from the first row and the second row I assume.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Wow. Interesting request. What price point would you be willing to place on such speakers? How large do you think the number of purchasers would be?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos is a consumer product, you seem to need something a bit more professional. Your problem could partly be solved by using Trueplay though. Trueplay takes different seating positions into account.

Don’t get me wrong, the ARC, Subv3 and two ERA 300’s sound really good for what they are….honestly impressive! I did tune using Trueplay, but what I’m hoping this gets Sonos thinking about is taking it to a next level (or a second row as it were - lol)…..by allowing us MULTIPLE tuning setups that we can switch to without re-running Trueplay...say for music listening, front row watching, front & back row watching, etc….A reasonable increase would be fine, $200-300 more? (not sure what it would actually cost Sonos).

Rumour has it Sonos ARC v2 will be higher-end anyway, and I agree with that, the ARC needs more balls I think (although my room is only 23L x 15W x 8H ft, I find I'm wanting power SOMETIMES for non-ATMOS movies)….This type of tuning would make it SO versatile for deploying in many types of rooms (although it would be ideal for a dedicated room like I have).

Now that we’re discussing this….how about allowing a second set of ERA 300’s!?! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can’t have two sets of surrounds in a Sonos surround set up - again this would be a feauture request, that in my opinion would take Sonos away from it’s roots.