Experiencing dropouts on PlayBar with new TV.

• 26 October 2013
  • 12 replies

I recently purchased a Visio M550SV television. I have set the audio through the Optical Out to Dolby Digital and connected to the PlayBar via an Optical cable (of course {GRIN}). Every few minutes, I experience a brief dropout of the audio while watching TV. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
What source are you watching ? I get this problem watching netflix and many HD channels on Sky. Discussions with Sonos support in the past have resulted in finding out that a lot of HD sources use Dolby Digital Plus and not Dolby Digital. Along with DTS, Dolby Digital Plus is not supported by the playbar, hence the number of dissatisfied users posting to this forum. Keep up the pressure on Sonos to rectify this shortcoming as they will hopefully come clean soon on how they intend to deal with the thousands of unhappy customers who have purchased this product and, like yourself, continue to do so.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
What source are you watching ? I get this problem watching netflix and many HD channels on Sky. Discussions with Sonos support in the past have resulted in finding out that a lot of HD sources use Dolby Digital Plus and not Dolby Digital. Along with DTS, Dolby Digital Plus is not supported by the playbar, hence the number of dissatisfied users posting to this forum. Keep up the pressure on Sonos to rectify this shortcoming as they will hopefully come clean soon on how they intend to deal with the thousands of unhappy customers who have purchased this product and, like yourself, continue to do so.
Thanks JohnD for this comment!
Hi Pierre,

The problem occurs while watching HD channels.  I resolved it by switching my TV to output PCM.  I have not experienced a dropout since.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sounds like you managed to solve the problem for the Playbar. I assume you do not have any surround speakers attached such as Play 1 or Play 3. 
If you did you would notice the drop in quality due to switching of the Dolby Digital Signal.
Don't consider buying surround speakers until Sonos come clean on the DTS and Dolby Digital Plus issues.
I have the same problem. C'mon Sonos you're making watching TV a painful experience. Please get this fixed. 
also found this: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945
Userlevel 3
Badge
I've had the Sonos Playbar for almost a year and been having nothing but problems with it (audio drop outs). I've opened up threads, got advice from other members of the forum and even dealt with the people from Sonos but there seems to be NO FIX. Now the drop outs are occurring less frequently but none the less still occur.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hey all - if you're still having audio drops on the PLAYBAR, can you reply back with the following information as it will be helpful to further diagnose the issue:

1) The make and model of your TV
2) Any audio/video peripherals wired to the TV
3) A system diagnostics

A great thread to review if you haven't seen it is our Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread. There is a lot of great information there that may be helpful.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hey all - if you're still having audio drops on the PLAYBAR, can you reply back with the following information as it will be helpful to further diagnose the issue:

3) A system diagnostics

A great thread to review if you haven't seen it is our Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread. There is a lot of great information there that may be helpful.

I only have a Samsung TV, a cable box, Sonos Playbar and Sub.. No other devices connected (DVD Player etc.) and have been getting audio drop outs since day one. I even had Best Buy to do the install. If you look at the threads on the Sonos forums you will see that this is a known issue that is occurring with many different brands of TVs (Sony's, Samsung's, Visio's).
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

3) A system diagnostics

I only have a Samsung TV, a cable box, Sonos Playbar and Sub.. No other devices connected (DVD Player etc.) and have been getting audio drop outs since day one. I even had Best Buy to do the install. If you look at the threads on the Sonos forums you will see that this is a known issue that is occurring with many different brands of TVs (Sony's, Samsung's, Visio's).

Is the Samsung a JS/JU series? There has been an issue with that series in the past, but a firmware upgrade was pushed by Samsung to resolve the issue. What is the make and model of the cable box you're using as that could be a factor as well?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yes it's the JS series and the upgrade didn't fix the issue. The cable box is an Arris.
Have (or maybe can) you connect the Playbar optical cord to the Arris? That might be a good indication as to whether the issue is in the TV or not. I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the Arris brand name, but if it has an optical port, and since you don't have any other devices connected to the TV to worry about, it might be a useful test.