Answered

era 300 pairing

• 15 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Was just wondering if it was possible to pair 4 era 300 speakers together with my arc and gen 3 sub. I already have 2 era 300s and was thinking about 2 more in the near future but wanted to know if 4 will play in atmos or in stereo 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 15 December 2023, 13:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is not possible to bond more than two surrounds in a Sonos surround set up. You could set up a separate “room” in the Sonos app, containing a stereo pair of Era’s, but you would not get any surround (let alone Atmos) out of them for TV use. Grouping them while watching TV will result in a delay of 75ms on the grouped Era’s.

Not only would you not get Atmos, for 5.1 and Atmos sources, you would get all channels (front L-C-R, Surround L/R, and Height L/R) playing out of the front drivers of the grouped speakers, delayed by 75ms.  This would destroy the front soundstage, cancel out any directional surround, and muddy up the Atmos effects.  I can’t think of a worse thing to do to a carefully tuned surround sound system.

Once again, I curse that stupid YouTube video.  It should be taken down for being misinformation.