Epson 2150 Projector/ Chromecast/ Beam

• 19 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone,

I have been reading these posts for the last few months and still can't seem to find a solution.

I have an Epson 2150 projector which only has a 3.5 jack for audio. My chromecast is plugged into the HDMI port which is how I stream videos, etc.

I purchased the beam and have recently tried connecting all of these together with an analog Audio to Digital Audio Converter but cannot seem to get it to work. I also have 2 play ones that are connected to my beam currently with no issue. I just need to get the beam connected to my projector.

Please help!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

To be honest, I'd ditch the audio coming out of the Epson....any 3.5mm jack would be stereo only, and you'd lose all surround and center channel information.

What I'd do is get an HDMI switch that splits out an optical signal, and put that in line between the Chromecast and the projector, and then connect the optical output from that to the Beam. That way, you'd get the full Dolby Digital signal to the Beam, and get those surround speakers working properly.
Thanks, Bruce. I might need you to walk me through this though. I purchased this: do you think it will do the job?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1
At first glance, it looks fine to me. So, I'd connect the Chromecast in to HDMI 1 in, and then run an HDMI cable from output to your Epson's input. Then run an optical cable from the SPDIF to the adapter for the Beam, and you should be good to go.
Oh, and make sure that your Chromecast is set up to send out a Dolby Digital signal. I don't have one, so I'm not sure how that can be done, but I'd assume that there's an "Audio Settings" area on the Chromecast. That device you've purchased (and all of the other ones I've seen) don't do translations of the signal....so whatever the Chromecast is sending will be what goes to the Beam.

Good luck!
Okay so I got everything set up and spent hours on the phone with Sonos and this isn’t working still. The receiver is sending video and audio through the projector, but is not transmitting sound through the beam.
They suggested to come back to this forum and see if anyone else could help.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Well, at least the video is going through. I'd then take a look at the end of the optical cable that isn't plugged in to the SPDIF, but would normally be plugged in to the adapter for the Beam. Is there a red light shining out of it? Did you remove the caps that normally are on the ends of it?

Then I'd be taking a look at the Chromecast to see what audio signal it thinks it's sending. Again, if it is anything other than Dolby Digital or Stereo, the Beam won't be able to read it.
I actually ended up getting it to work!! I had to make sure the receiver was set to “2 channel” as well as the “pass” setting. Then I had to go into the Sonos app and select the beam and make sure it was set to my “tv” or projector. Thankful that I don’t have to take this back now!! Everything is working and pairing perfectly. Thanks for all the help!!
Hey Chan22 how was your set up cause I have the same projector and sound bar. I will order the splitter and wanted to know how it was all hooked up. I’ve got a headache trying every other suggestion I’ve looked up. Thanks